Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd bladeshape!
This blade looks more like a very short spatha than a gladius!

http://www.roemisches-mainz.de/mainz/pi ... en012g.jpg
(borrowed the link from another thread)

Any Ideas or commentaries on the blade! Very tapering and with broad fuller at the strong of the blade!

Cool! Has anybody seen a reconstruction of it and is this blade from the early first century AD?

Me like!
Looks similar to some 'daggers/short swords' represented in some sculpture......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some gladiator "gladii" looked sort of like that. They tended to be a little off-size from regular military blades.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Martin,

A remodeled or reworked blade of a broken blade?
there is a same looking blade of a shortened spatha in " Militari Sisciensia " Zagreb
Cat No. 61
maybe someone can tell more on the shortened swords of Künzig

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
In fact there is one similar evenly tapering sword blade found from the Künzing hoard dated to the third century AD. It is classified in the category of "semi-spathas", as an evidence of the continuity of shorter bladed swords also in the late roman context. If I remember correctly tehre is some information about these swords in the book "The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern and Karen Dixon...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:In fact there is one similar evenly tapering sword blade found from the Künzing hoard dated to the third century AD. It is classified in the category of "semi-spathas", as an evidence of the continuity of shorter bladed swords also in the late roman context. If I remember correctly tehre is some information about these swords in the book "The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern and Karen Dixon...

Tab down to Spatha bits http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... ttack.html
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda