Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter -Cloak or big tunic?
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~dcr/Archives/ ... 190305.jpg

The spear man on the left seems to have either a voluminous tunic or a short cloak ... what do you think ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Tunic, no trousers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Both Tunic and Cloak, based soley on the apparent change of pattern on the lower left-hand side.
K.E.McElligott

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - M.Tullius Cicero
Quote:Both Tunic and Cloak, based soley on the apparent change of pattern on the lower left-hand side.
You can see similar here, but they're definitely unbelted tunics.
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~dcr/Archives/ ... 190302.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'm not disagreeing that the Tunics are unbelted, nor am I saying that all of the individuals are wearing cloaks. However if the Spearman from the initial image is not wearing a cloak or short cape I'm unsure of how to remedy what would appear to be excess material under the right arm. There does seem to be an outline for the tunic in dark red, followed by a return of the predominate red shade in what could be judged as part of the cloak. Also as I mentioned previously the hem style changes, seemingly indicating a change in either fabric or garment.
K.E.McElligott

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - M.Tullius Cicero
Unbelted tunic without any possible doubt. The apparent change on the hem is due to the gap between the front and back paragaudae, perhaps having a side vent at that place 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:The apparent change on the hem is due to the gap between the front and back paragaudae, perhaps having a side vent at that place 8)

Ah! Thank you, that makes more sense.
K.E.McElligott

The real question is...who'd want to hunt a wild boar with no pants on!!!

Legion: TBD
A rugged North African Late Roman maybe? (It's hot down there...) :lol:
[Image: 3463C853A487Ffp3393Enu3D32783E83B43.jpg]
Photo by Jordi Mambrilla
Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:The real question is...who'd want to hunt a wild boar with no pants on!!!

The answer is... they do:
[Image: piazza_armerina-3.jpg]
(Piazza Armerina mosaic. Sicily, early 4th c.)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Both Tunic and Cloak, based soley on the apparent change of pattern on the lower left-hand side.

I disagree. The sleeve is not well visible, but the left shoulder orbiculus clearly indicates that it's only a tunic, not a cloak. I was surprised to see the tunics being so short and wide, but maybe that's just the local fashion. The change on the lower left-hand side is not a change, you see the mirroring clavus on the back.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The real question is...who'd want to hunt a wild boar with no pants on!!!

makes since to me. if a bear sneaks up on you... you dont need to clean your pants or underware Wink
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:
Magnus:87y2m8jh Wrote:The real question is...who'd want to hunt a wild boar with no pants on!!!

makes since to me. if a bear sneaks up on you... you dont need to clean your pants or underware Wink
Indeed! Nor do you need to pull them up if you get caught in one of nature's moments Wink
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JUST REVEALED: Red Cloak and Tunic of Augustus! Daniel S Peterson 33 8,642 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix