Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IWA
Who´s going, and when? Maybe we can coordinate a meeting?
I´ll be there on march 9th. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
just returned from Nürnberg. Still a bit exhausted, all the gun´s and ammunitions with that many people in such a confined space made me somewhat nervous. Especially the Sniper Rifles... *shudder*
I visited Indian Handicrafts and Deepeeka, and her the news, starting eith the limited pugio. The Bronze inlay decoration will not be possible, as Gagan´s craftsmen will not work with the material. Gold would be possible, though. The lower side of the grip right above the blade will not have any decoration in th finished version. All rivets will be in silver in the final version. Here the pics:
[Image: DSC03324.jpg]
[Image: DSC03325.jpg]
[Image: DSC03329.jpg]
Christian K.

[Image: DSC03327.jpg]
[Image: DSC03326.jpg]
Next comes the patera. The handle is welded on, but otherwise looks great. it is a bit deep for my taste, but that´s just me. Smile
[Image: DSC03335.jpg]
Christian K.

[Image: DSC03336.jpg]
Next are just a few pics of the new Niederbieber, and the other helmets that were present:
[Image: DSC03330.jpg]
[Image: DSC03331.jpg]
Christian K.

[Image: DSC03333.jpg]
[Image: DSC03334.jpg]
[Image: DSC03337.jpg]
Christian K.

[Image: DSC03338.jpg]
[Image: DSC03339.jpg]
[Image: DSC03340.jpg]
Christian K.

[Image: DSC03341.jpg]
Here some pics of Ashok´s 6mm hamata, the backside is attached with a row of riveted rings. We talked about using vegetable tanned uncoloured leather for this item in the future. Eventually the leather rim around the neck will be removed.
[Image: DSC03313.jpg]
[Image: DSC03314.jpg]
Christian K.

Here some pics of a prototype of a aspis. I discussed improvements with Helge and Ashok. The front will have to be tapered more strongly, the rim will be less wide, and the side pieces of the porpax have to be larger. No more rabbit fur, no leathe on the front side. If the demand rises, the decorative discs holding the rope will be modeled after originals. Eventually a brass rim will be available seperately. This is to give reenactors the possibility of applying a rawhide facing before the rim is attached.
Here the pics:
[Image: DSC03315.jpg]
[Image: DSC03316.jpg]
[Image: DSC03319.jpg]

I was also able to make contact with a damscus-smith usually making pattern welded Roman blades who is so far working mainly for museum. he is willing to make blades for me, so look what happens in my shop in the future. Smile
Christian K.

Christian - thanks for all the pictures!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Christian,

great - many thanks & laudes! Big Grin D D
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Welcome! Smile
Christian K.

Great, Christian!
Many thanks! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Many thanks for the Intel Big Grin
Christophe (due to my job, have to keep Incognito)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cinecreatif.com/images/produits/160675-018_2.jpg-tbn">http://www.cinecreatif.com/images/produ ... _2.jpg-tbn
The Legio i choose in regard of my area from Wikipedia, seems now to told else thing, can just tell that i am interested in a 1st Century AD Legionnary, Hamata and Lorica, Coolus to Gallus Italic, best of 2 Worlds
Welcome, Christophe Wink , Aitor Smile
Christian K.

Quote:Here some pics of a prototype of a aspis. I discussed improvements with Helge and Ashok. The front will have to be tapered more strongly, the rim will be less wide, and the side pieces of the porpax have to be larger. No more rabbit fur, no leathe on the front side. If the demand rises, the decorative discs holding the rope will be modeled after originals. Eventually a brass rim will be available seperately. This is to give reenactors the possibility of applying a rawhide facing before the rim is attached.

That's Ashok's version of a shield I sent him; was it not described as a "Paul Allen" shield? I designed and built the prototype, of which this is a copy, and I put leather on the face of it. Why not?

The front of my original could have used a bit more tapering and the first copy I had from him was actually worse, in this respect, as well as being MUCH heavier than my original. I have already given him detailed feedback on the copy he sent me, but it's always hard for them to follow written instructions/suggestions and I'm waiting to see what the latest models are like, I expect to receive two within the next couple of days.