Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non fume!
Salvete!

Has anyone on here given up smoking ?
I'm biting the bullet on Monday and enrolling in a non smoking clinic.
I've tried willpower, but I have none, and I really enjoy smoking. :?

I gave up before my son was born and managed to stay off the ciggies for a few years, but even then the cravings were still there.

I want to quit as years of smoking are starting to take their toll, and if I quit now the damage is reversible (hopefully)

Any tips from anyone here ?

Thanks
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Hi Joanne,

Good for you! Some thoughts that may strengthen your resolve.

My mother stopped smoking, like you, before the birth of her first, my older brother. She stuck to that resolve, although she has admitted that the craving never really goes away. She is now 63.

My family has been a non-smoking home ever since. Only my sister took up the habit (moderately, she's stopped years ago), my brother and me never smoked. We're 43 and 42. We both marrried non-smoking women and we raise two non-smoking kids each.

I hope that helps. :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Joanne, is it not enough, as deterrent, that when one kiss a smoking woman feels like if kissing an ashtray? Why spoiling the fantastic taste of a kiss? It's a crime! Big Grin Sorry for thoughness, but if it helps...

Come on! You'll make it... Big Grin

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Well I quit several times before finally succeeding.

A hypnotist helped along the way!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Joanne,

for many, many years a smoked legions of cigarettes and then switched to cigars. My oversized weed nearly never went out, so 'Cigar' was my nickname. I just had to drink a gulp from a cola bottle to poison the rest for any other who kept a normal taste...

And due to a lot of stress in my profession, I also consumed far too much alcohol.

The good news: I gave both up from one day to the next without problems. For two or three days I was a little bit confused (realizing that I did not the 'usual' rituals in my daily routine), but there were no significant withdrawal symptoms.

Personally, in that year I got a Christian background and prayed for help and power. Of course I just can speak about my own experience in this special case, but for me it (surprisingly) worked and appeared like a kind of minor miracle.
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:Joanne, is it not enough, as deterrent, that when one kiss a smoking woman feels like if kissing an ashtray? Why spoiling the fantastic taste of a kiss? It's a crime!

LOL!!! What ? You don't find this sexy ??

Lovely..... :lol:

[Image: teeth_smoking_stain.jpg]

Thanks for the support, guys!

Robert- it's great that your mother stayed away from cigarettes for all these years. My parents are also in the process of quitting, they smoked for over 40 years, but they are doing great. I have noticed how well they are both looking too lately.

Cheers!
Friends of Letocetum
My wife used the best system I have ever seen, from a 'Give up Smoking' book: First write down when you smoke, why you like smoking (or at least why you keep smoking) & how much you think you spend.

Then don't try to cut down, but keep a strict diary of every smoke for a week & why you wanted each one - you may find you are smoking to relax as well as to wake yourself up, to celebrate as well as to cheer yourself up etc. Establish a range of other treats and rewards which make you really feel good - long peaceful baths, trips to the cinema, dancing, massages etc.

After that you break association between your occasions for smoking and the fag itself e.g. if you smoke when you have a drink, first you can have one not the other at the same time, then you increase the minimum gap between them, until e.g. you can fit either a smoke or a coffee into your tea breaks or lunch breaks. Keep track of your spending and fund treats witth the savings, plus a bit from saved medical bills...

Good luck! Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Well done to all you quitters! Good advice there.
8)
Hope I have as much faith and willpower as you all over the next few months

Byron, what was hypnotherapy like ?
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:Robert- it's great that your mother stayed away from cigarettes for all these years. My parents are also in the process of quitting, they smoked for over 40 years, but they are doing great. I have noticed how well they are both looking too lately.
My mother-in-law stopped smoking (heavily) 3 years ago, after being begged to stop by her husband and daughters for decades. She's 68 now and she stopped coughing almost overnight!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I try on average once a year. But pubs are banning it soon, so I have no choice now :wink: I'll be booking a hypnotherapy session, and pre-booking follow up sessions for every few months afterwards (I always crumble after a few months).

And what's wrong with kissing an ashtray? A snog's a snog, and who cares about the garlic, ciggies or Marmite.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:And what's wrong with kissing an ashtray? A snog's a snog, and who cares about the garlic, ciggies or Marmite.

Ave Jim,

so chose the ancient way. Forget such things like menthol flavor or pure tobacco and go garlic-cigarettes only. :wink:

@ Joanne: I wish you success next week! (Not smoking saves a lot of money - which usually disappears at once in purchasing re-enactment stuff then... :wink: )
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I was lucky in that I only smoked socially or in real stressful situations....and it never really bothered me one way or the other... now chocolate..thats a different matter... :oops: where did I put that bar... :roll:
Talking about ashtrays....you try travelling on non - smoking National Express and somebody gets on who has obviously had a few..cigarettes, that is....I couldn't stop coughing last time, they reeked so much ...urggh...cigarettes stink.
The strange thing is, I actually quite like the smell of cigars and some pipe weed... :? ? roll:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-