Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhodopsis, the Greco-Egyptian Cinderella
Can you point me to the exact passage where Strabo tells the story of Rhodopsis?

Are there even earlier versions of Cinderella?

Are there other fairly modern fairy tales as which in fact date back to much older times?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Are there other fairly modern fairy tales as which in fact date back to much older times?

Hi, this book may be interesting to you, and the review at this link as well:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2002/2002-05-07.html

Vale
Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero
a.k.a. Carlo Sansilvestri

CONTUBERNIUM
SISMA - Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Can you point me to the exact passage where Strabo tells the story of Rhodopsis?

See Strabo, XVII, 1, 33 (or p. 808).

Are there even earlier versions of Cinderella?

Yeah, it seems that the first writer who told this story was Herodotus. See his "History", II, 134-135.

By the way, there is another one version of this tale - in Aelian's "Varia historia", XIII, 33. Aelian lived in II-III centuries AD.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Thanks a lot!

Quote:By the way, there is another one version of this tale - in Aelian's "Varia historia", XIII, 33. Aelian lived in II-III centuries AD.

Is there any online source of the text (I did not find anything)? I found the passage in Strabo rather brief, and Herodot refers to the historical person, but not the tale.

Are there any more European versions of Cinderella prior to Giambattista Basile and Perrault?
PS: This is what I found in Strabo's work.

Quote:...others give her the name Rhodopis.178 They tell the fabulous story that, when she was bathing, an eagle snatched one of her sandals from her maid and carried it to Memphis; and while the king was administering justice in the open air, the eagle, when it arrived above his head, flung the sandal into p95his lap; and the king, stirred both by the beautiful shape of the sandal and by the strangeness of the occurrence, sent men in all directions into the country in quest of the woman who wore the sandal; and when she was found in the city of Naucratis, she was brought up to Memphis, became the wife of the king, and when she died was honoured with the above-mentioned tomb.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... 17A3*.html

Where are the envious step-sisters?