Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka Bowl Sizes
I know that much has been said about Deepeeka making larger helmets. Most of the talk deals with front to back and side to side measurements. That has not been my particular problem, even though I do have a large head.

Below is a picture of myself with my modified Gallic I Mainz from Deepeeka. Obvoiusly, it is not the newest type, i.e., it is a basic older type Gallic H. My problem with it, as might be evidenced from the photo, is that it sits too high on my head. if the bowl would have been a bit deeper, it would fit much better.

I am interested in the new Gallic A and Gallic I Mainz because it looks to me as if the bowls of those two types are, indeed, deeper. I suppose my question is this:
Is the new Gallic I Mainz made from the same die as the new Gallic A? Or am I imagining this?

Also, are there any plans to "fill in" the space between bowl and neck guard. This appears to be a problem with all of the "iron" helmets. Just curious. I love the new Deepeeka helmets, and will be purchasing at least two this year. I just wanna know.

Jeff/Tiberius
LEG~XX

[Image: Smallmainz.jpg]
T.Fabius Rufio/Jeff Crean
LEG~XX

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx">www.larp.com/legioxx
Of course there is always the element of personal taste. But it looks to me like your helmet is too tight. There appears to be no room for padding. Remember that sling stones and lead glandes were a major hazard on the ancient battlefield, and one of the major purposes of the helmet. Without padding, all the energy of the missile will be transferred directly through to the skull and brain. Padding can be the difference between ringing ears and a fatal concussion.

Swords, clubs, and much else can also have a serious concussive effect as well.

Quote:A conical, wool and felt arming cap with side flaps found at Dura has been identified credibly as an 'arming cap' worn under the helmet with cheek-pieces. It would have given the helmet a comfortable seating and served to absorb blows and sweat.

I don't know the reference but I remember that there was a find of some wool glued to the inside of a helmet found somewhere or the other.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:I suppose my question is this:
Is the new Gallic I Mainz made from the same die as the new Gallic A? Or am I imagining this?

Yes, it will be!

Work is still ongoing regarding the Mainz Gallic I. At the time I was at the factory, we did not have a brass version of the Gallic A blank to start with, that's why we developed it with the Buch brass bowl instead.

The Aquincum Gallic I is however completed. :wink:
[Image: AH6060N.jpg]
Is that a lamp holder on the back for lighting up the granery? :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I see what you mean Byron!

No, it could be used for that ,but it's actually the crest attachment. This type is also seen on the Guttmann Gallic I too.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,96/
Quote:Of course there is always the element of personal taste. But it looks to me like your helmet is too tight. There appears to be no room for padding. Remember that sling stones and lead glandes were a major hazard on the ancient battlefield, and one of the major purposes of the helmet. Without padding, all the energy of the missile will be transferred directly through to the skull and brain. Padding can be the difference between ringing ears and a fatal concussion.

Swords, clubs, and much else can also have a serious concussive effect as well.

Bishop and Coulston, Roman Military Equipment" p 175
":1dyggxiy Wrote:
A conical, wool and felt arming cap with side flaps found at Dura has been identified credibly as an 'arming cap' worn under the helmet with cheek-pieces. It would have given the helmet a comfortable seating and served to absorb blows and sweat.

I don't know the reference but I remember that there was a find of some wool glued to the inside of a helmet found somewhere or the other.

LOL...a somewhat mout point since I don't think Jeff as a reenactor plans to be beaned in the head with sling stones or clubs.

Legion: TBD
Still, there is some merit in the discussion. The human head seen from above is an oval. It is often the front to back distance that is the problem, the helmet digging into the forehead, while there is ample room at the sides. The problem has been solved by some by "squashing" the helmet sides to allow for a better fit. Perhaps measuring/copying the ratio's in authentic helmets will relieve this point. I have found the Deepeeka helmets (two Gallic N types, the G and H), to have plenty of room to the sides, it's only the forehead where the pinch is. So it's not the overal measurement (62 cm.) but the bowlshape front to back and side to side which will make a good fit. Very happy with my helmets, though.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes, now that you mention it Adrian, I had seen it before :oops: Often wondered, at the time, why it was not included! Gives some interesting possibilities for crest constructions! Big Grin D
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
avete omnes

deepeka helm could be good,they did very big development whit the new models but the skull remain(is my opinion) really orrible.

is possible to hundestand if somebody have one helm of deepeeka from far...usually the face is like under a potter...

i tink that if they could change the skull this helms could look very good

valete
PierPaolo siercovich