Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painted scene - question?
Does anyone know this scene, and where the original is?

It's from a stock photo agency, but certainly doesn't leave you wondering what the colours are :wink:

http://www.photo-select.net/product_1.a ... oduct=2694
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Looks like a knock-off of an Italian fresco from the Renaissance, Jim.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks Dan. I knew it was too good to be true. Although, wouldn't the figures be more reminiscent of Renaissance men in terms of their clothing and dress? I think it might be a photo of an original piece, perhaps restored? :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I agree with Dan about it being a knock-off of something from the Renaissance.

Renaissance artists copied much of the "style" of Roman sculpture - for example from Trajan's column, but mixed in their own somewhat fanciful helmet designs, etc.

The scene appears to be some sort of triumphal procession - again a common theme in Italian Renaissance art. After all, they were rediscovering/"giving rebirth to" their "lost classical heritage".

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Omigosh! Some of them are wearing, gasp! WHITE tunics!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And green, and blue. Not a red one in sight.

That's why I'm trying to find out if it's a restored one. I'm sure it's not a knock off, as the stock agency's site has photos of original items elsewhere. The big question is, is it Renaissance or earlier? I tried to buy a photo but the purchase option doesn't work :evil: Finding out exactly what and where it is would be nice.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Of course no red, as most of those wearing the white tunics were out searching for madder root, and missed the muster for the pompa. They were summarily executed by the Blues, and their kit divided amongst the Greens. See? They had those, too! Some things never change. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Of course no red, as most of those wearing the white tunics were out searching for madder root, and missed the muster for the pompa. They were summarily executed by the Blues, and their kit divided amongst the Greens. See? They had those, too! Some things never change. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Yeah, that's a Renaissance style..

The compostion/focal point and perspective is certainly of a Renn. style, it's too refined and mathematically "straight" for Roman art that I know of. And the Architecture in the background doesn't look Roman.

But...Fresco...On...Wood??
Um...Kinda defeats the purpose of a fresco. :roll:
(fresco is specifically imbedding paint in wet plaster on a wall)

Although as a stand alone piece, it looks to be well done. The rendering is very rich and dark...Which makes me wonder what media it really is...I don't think you can get that dark in shading in frecso (it almost looks 3D)...Egg Tempera or Oil on wood? Yeah, you can get deep darks with that.

(it could be copied onto wood from a fresco, though)

The style makes me think Della Francesca (1450's) or Perugino's "Christ delivering the Keys of the Kingdom to St. Peter" 1480's
It's also close to the style of Masaccio (1430's)

Interesting piece, either way.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
You pay on that site 15 bucks for a 8MG size computer picture? Confusedhock:
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about last scene on Trajan Column diegis 8 2,892 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Last Post: fgdfv%5e%fgdj2Q%