Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30s AD Reenacting
Oh, well, we're straying a bit from the original question, arent' we all?
(Yes, guilty, Your Honor, I am, indeed)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The Bible account mentions that there was a centurion present, so it seems reasonable to think there were more than just a couple of men on duty when crucifixions took place.
A centurion could act in legal matters, so perhaps that was his primary function rather than a combat one?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Cornelius Quintus:2j1r83xd Wrote:A translator to Latin uses general Latin terms - lorica, galea, gladius, scutum - for the above. How does it demonstrate using exact terms by the ancient writers as opposed to "blurry and general" terms of later translations?

Ave Alexander,

good point. I thought that a translator with a time lag of 'only' 50 to 100 years would be closer to the different termini than a modern one. Also 'normal' modern Latin dictionaries are lacking a lot of terms or meanings (not just military ones). So when I'm looking for the Latin version of a German word, I often find nothing similar (No, not 'soccer/Fussball' :wink: ) until I use a very large dictionary in the library.

Especially concerning former bible translations, terms about items, cloth, plants or animals often were changed to 'understandable' counterparts.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Greek... Sad
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
M. Cvrivs Alexander wrote:[/quote]
Yes, and after I came up with the idea to make one on my balteus (as you probably saw it at Mobile), I was pleased to see that the Romans shared my mindset. 8)

Do you think they saw it on the web site?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Ave Heiko,

Thank you for clarification, I think I now see what you meant. Yes, modern translations differ in degree of accuracy transmitting the original terminology, since they differ in their purpose (e.g., literal translation, a dynamic equivalent translation, etc.). Therefore, of course, there are examples when it is impossible to get to the original term without going to the Greek text - a good practice in any case. It may seem that earlier versions did more justice to the literal meaning, but that was not necessarily the case. At times, there was no exact equivalent to the original language in the language of the translation; at times, the translator did not aim at transmitting the exact literal meaning for different reasons. And, finally, the original might have used a general term in the first place (as it is appears to be the case with Eph 6); in such cases, even a literal translation is also general.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati