Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composite bows v. English longbows
I was watching a program last night on Ancient Egyptian weapons and it highlighted the composite bow and how superior it was to regular bows. That got me thinking, why didn't the English use composite bows? I know they had yew which is a "natural composite" but what does that mean? And why didn't they use a recurve? Inquiring minds want to know. Smile
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Hi Lepidina!

The composite bows were developed in the east and had very strong steppe influences, as you propably know already. The problem with the composite bow is that it requires considerable amount of time and skill (sometimes years) to make. They were ususally made of wood, tendons, horn/bone and animal glue. It is also very sensitive to humid conditions. Dampness can render it almost useless (not a very good quality in the english weather :wink: )! On the other hand roman auxiliaries had composite bows in the british isles...

Longbow was quite easy to make and very powerful when made thick & long. Composite bows on the other hand have more power in relation to it`s size, so perfect for shooting from horseback. Longbows were designed mainly for peasant armies and mass-shootings in an open field. Hope this helps a bit?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Hope this helps a bit?
At least I find this very helpful.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the info!!

After reading your post, I was watching a preview of the new BBC Robin Hood series last night (which PALES in comparison to the old Robin of Sherwood series in the 80s), and Robin sports a composite bow he brought back with him from the crusades. The only thing I could think of was, "Oh man, that bow is so going to come unglued the first time it rains." Smile
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Well, Lepidina, I think you are safe, "It never rains in California" :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Was Briattania as wet & damp in Roman times as it is today?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Was Briattania as wet & damp in Roman times as it is today?

Salve,

Various sources I have read seemed to have indicated a warmer but wetter climate with milder Winters.
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum