Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me identify these 3 bayonets?
For Paulvs and anyone else, I have these 3 bayonets that if anyone knows anything about them, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Legion: TBD
Here are the close ups of the biggest one...which has a matching serial # of 62 16 on the guard and scabbard.

Here are pics of the smaller bayonet (but not the spike one). No markings on the scabbard, and only what I've marked on the pictures.

And the stamped writing on the other side of the serial number, some of the stamping either didn't get stamped all the way, or it was done in another fashion, since I can discern 2 of the characters, but not what's in the exact middle.

And the last, triangular shaped bayonet:

Oh, and what should I do to keep them in the condition they are currently in? I use choji oil on my japanese swords, which is basically just mineral oil, but it will preserve blades (metal) well. Can I use this, or is there another product out there that is better?

Also, what about the leather on the scabbards of the the two bladed bayonets?

Here come a American Civil War reenactor!
Okay, the top bayonet seems to be a to US Springfield 1861 model, fairly standard bayonet, these go for about on ave. around $125, maybe more or less.
The second bayonet is a British made bayonet, more than likely for an Enfield two banded infantry musket, not the full 3 banded type. Ave. price is $150-$200, more with the scabbard.
Then the 3rd one I'm not sure, but it seems close to a World war "1 & 2" types because of the font of the lettering on the stamp, maybe it is closer to WW1 since it has a leather scabbard. I'd guess it is around $100, but I'm not even sure what type it is!
This would be all the info I have on these items, but it gives good idea what they are and the first 2 look like they could have been used during the American Civil War or VERY close to that, withing 5-10 years TOPS.
Check out http://www.shilohrelics.com to get a better idea of prices and such, plus feel free to send photos, the guy who owns the shop it is a great guy to work with. Anyway I hope I've helped you in some way. Good luck!
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Quote:Oh, and what should I do to keep them in the condition they are currently in? I use choji oil on my japanese swords, which is basically just mineral oil, but it will preserve blades (metal) well. Can I use this, or is there another product out there that is better?

Also, what about the leather on the scabbards of the the two bladed bayonets?

E-mail David Jarnagin at http://www.jarnaginco.com/ and look at his leather care article on the web site. He knowns his Civil war era leather, he's been at it for over 20 years, but DON'T use man made oil "or petroleum/crude oil", a sparse amount of 100% needsfoot oil does the trick, though not to much. Now for the metal, I don't know, I'd guess just leave it or use what you're using already, but check with Shiloh Relics first.
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Hi Matt,

the third one seems to look like a 1913 model made by Artilleria, shown in an old catalogue of this Spanish manufacturer:

http://biblioteca2.uclm.es/biblioteca/c ... ameset.htm

see page 19 of the PDF there, the bayonet on the very right. Unfortunately, the pic quality is poor.

Here’s a better Pic of the Spanish 1913 long Mauser Bayonet.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/span1913.htm

To keep my own WW I - bayonets in good condition, I just use our German weapon ‘ketchup’ – ‘Ballistol’-oil (which fits to all purposes, especially metal, wood and leather)
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Matt the third bayonet is for a Spanish Mauser k98.
I'm no expert but I read 'ARTILLERIA F(ábrica) NACIONAL TOLEDO', i.e., Artillery, National Factory, Toledo.
Hope that it helps :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Ave Aitor,

right, that's what the text behind the second link says. First it was used for the 1916 short Mauser rifle and later probably for the WWII Mauser 98k

Long bayonets for shorter rifles and shorter bayonets for longer rifles to keep the overall distance the same....

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
yea, I was about to say the top one looks just like the bayonet that used to be hanging on the wall of my grandmother's house that was used by one of my great, great-granfathers in the Civil war... :lol:
-Christy Beall
Ave Christy,

are there two of that kind on the wall, then? I heard that the tough American pioneer wives used them as knitting needles :wink:

Heiko! Your a WW1 collector?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Ave Paul,

just some original pieces and some reproductions and model kits. I always was interested in WWI: trench warfare, aviation and of course the 'Hochseeflotte'. Have to to compare Deepeeka's M 1918 helmet to my original one day... :wink:

Most of my bayonets and other things were sold two years ago - needed space for Roman and Viking stuff :roll: