Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leiden - disc chape for gladius?
But to throw out Hellenistic armour and weapons as being worn by officers, can you offer an alternative example of what they would have actually worn? Using a 17th-18th C example of representation of officers is valid, but not proof that the same was happening 1600 years previously. I agree that representational art is dubious in a large scale propaganda piece, but I'm not convinced that every individual's portrait would have the same degree of stylisation. Tombstones of common soldiers are of individuals and offer us a unique view of them which we pretty much accept as accurate, which to a degree could be the same with officers but of higher quality.

Added: Have you seen what Galba once wore? http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=15779
Not necessarily a linothorax of hellenistic style, but it certainly does make you wonder.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think they wore the same or similar armour as centurions. Either a mail shirt like M. Favonius Facilis or a scale shirt like Q. Sertorius Festus. On the monument at Adamklissi (Metope VI) a senior officer (Traian?) is shown with an armour that looks like a muscle cuirass, but is covered with scales.

Statius, Thebais, VII
  • 'Multiplicem teneces iterant thorace catenae'
    'The little chains join the many-folded thorax'
Virgil, Aeneid, III, V. 467.
  • 'loricam consertam hamis, auroque trilicem'
    'the three-fold lorica, held together with golden hooks'
Silius Italicus, Punica, V.
  • 'Loricam induitur tortos huic nexilis hamos
    Ferro squama rudi, permistoque asperat auro'

'He puts on the lorica - it looks terrible: scales of plain iron and gold intermixed, being knitted together with twisted hooks'
These quotes either refer to locked scale or to scale attached to a mail shirt. Of the latter an example has been found (See Robinson p. 173)

As I suggested before the hellenistic armour survived in sculpture as a symbol of (equestrian) rank and - after senators formed a seperate order - of senatorial rank as well.

As for Galba's linen cuirass, it could have been a subarmalis or a surcoat as worn by cavalry (see Arrian) and/or Praetorians (Cancelleria relief)
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Info on Gladius Hispanensis, Leiden Museum NL Pointer 16 3,785 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  signum disc montefortino 3 1,297 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt