Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feminalia
Which ranks did wear those "knee trousers" normally ?

Simkins, Michael, Men-at-Arms 46: The Roman Army from Caesar to Trajan (Osprey, 1984) mentions that they were worn by "principales" (NCOs) like aquilifer etc.

Did officers wear them ?
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
snip
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah - but they do keep your knees warm, Jim! For someone who can give you 20 years (and change), that's a big consideration, let me tell you. :wink:
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Actually, I stand corrected, and have been corrected - the spelling's okay. Apologies.

They're still girly.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Mine are wool, and they kept me nice and "toasty" warm on a cold, raw day in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA at a military time-line event. Third weekend of May, temperatures only in the 40's fahrenheit, a cold rain falling and a cold wind off the Atlantic Ocean. I was the only Roman dressed for the northern Britain-like weather.
In addition, I had multiple tunics and a wool paenula with hood worn over my helmet.
That said, the Romans back in Rome, especially among the elite, are known to have complained and bemoaned the "barbaric appearance" of soldiers from the northern provinces. The wearing of feminaliae or bracae would have been among the items contributing to that "barbarian appearance."

Quinton Johansen/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
There are "babaric founds" of trousers, f.e. "Thorsberg-Hose". Big Grin
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Sardaukar,

Welcome to RAT and, please, add at least your real first name to your signature (Forum rules) 8)
Have a look at this thread. (Not exactly about what you are asking but you might find it useful)Smile

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Ooops ! Missed that part...OK..now it's corrected Smile
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  feminalia Lucius Rabirius 26 6,289 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Crispvs