Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bog Find Books
Hi

Does anyone know these books, in that are they worth purchasing for the illustrations ?

Cheers

Conal

Ørsnes, Mogens: Esbjøl of Ith weapon victim finds 4. - 5. Jahrh. after Chr. For Nordiske Fortidsminder series of B bind 11. Det Konegelige Nordiske Oldskriftselskab - Kobenhavn 1988. 158 pages with numerous sketches and 219 boards. 30 x 21 cm, 1500g hard cardboard bind

Raddatz, Klaus: The Thorsberger moorland find. Catalog. New cathedrals 1987, 144 sides, 109 boards, 30 x 21cm, linen bind
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I don't know either of those, but I can recommend the following volume. It was the catalogue for an important exhibition that was staged by the National Museum of Denmark in 2003.

"The Spoils of Victory - the North in the Shadow of the Roman Empire" (Nationalmuseet, 2003), Eds.: Lars Jorgensen, Birger Storgaard & Lone Gebauer. ISBN 87-7602-006-1

It is packed with high-quality photographs of bog finds from Nydam and other sites of weapons and everyday items. There are also several fascinating essays on the bog finds. It's also all in English!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Hi Conal,

I haven't looked at the two books you mention but I see that we have them in the library at work so I could scope them out for you if you'd like me to. It might take me a week or two to get to it but I'd be glad to.

I would second Mike's recommendation of the book on the Nydam finds. It's very good.

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Salve,

I have already contacted the museum about this book, but have no reply. Does anyone know where I can get one? Amazon has drawn a blank.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Quote:Hi Conal,

I haven't looked at the two books you mention but I see that we have them in the library at work so I could scope them out for you if you'd like me to. It might take me a week or two to get to it but I'd be glad to.

I would second Mike's recommendation of the book on the Nydam finds. It's very good.

Lucianus

I have the book mentioned "spoils of victory" and it has some nice pictures nut I am looking to find illustrations of additional pieces, mainly swords & sword hilts so if you are able to check them out that would be great Big Grin
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:Salve,

I have already contacted the museum about this book, but have no reply. Does anyone know where I can get one? Amazon has drawn a blank.

Vale,

Celer.

I think I got mine from Oxbow Books ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Yes, I got mine from Oxbow too but, after a quick search on their site, they don't seem to have it currently! Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Yes, I confirm that's where I got mine as well. However, I would recommend that you get in touch with them as they might have it in stock. They can also sometimes get books through their contacts. It's worth a try, anyway.

Their phone number is : 01865-241249.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Mike

What happened to Gwent ?

Did you ever go to Sicos Bar ... now TJs ??
Conal Moran

Yoda
Aitor, Caractacus and Conal,

Thanks for all the advice. I'll email Oxbow tonight.

Vale,

Celer.
Salve,

Just a quick note, I have already said this in a new subject in 'References & Reviews', but this book is obtainable from the Danish National Museum for a bargain price. Send me a PM and I will pass on the email of the woman at the museum who can send you one.

Vale,

Celer.
She's on holiday until April 10th.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)