Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marines armor
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but it seems to be the most logical place for me to start at least. I also apologize if this has already been done before, but someone connected some threads about marines a couple of weeks ago and I could not find the answer in them so here goes.

Does anyone know if Roman Marines (just the common folk) wore squamata? If not, what sort of armor did they wear? I seem to recall in the third century AD they were wearing Hamata, but I could be remembering in a faulty fashion. I am most interested in the 1st century B.C., but I will take whatever information I can get.

Thank you in advance.

Cordially,

Michael Broyles
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Hi Michael,
There is precious little information on marines (or for that matter: military mariners) equipment. The tombstone that was recently found seems to be a combo of squamata and musculata perhaps, but that's about it for body armour of the early imperial period. In the Republic marine's were actually legionaries, so that's easier.
:wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I think they might have worn less iron armour and more armour of a cupric alloy because of the fast oxidation you get at sea.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jasper and Jef,

Thank you both very much for the insights.

Jef that does make sense and goes along with my idea for the squamata (for first century AD anyway).

Jasper, do you have any further information about this tombstone? Did I miss a discussion thread here somewhere? Links on the web? Books?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Hi Michael,
It's bound to be here on RAT somewhere. Search on tombstone, optio, Ravenna.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine