Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stator-Roman military police
Avete, Omnes

Demetrius here with Legio VI in California. I will be doing an immunaris impression of a stator-military policeman. I have actually done this impressin for US GI WW2 (1941) and Red Army (NKVD). I have found virtually no research and I am trying to gather as much as I can to present to our Senate so I can get an approval from our Authenticity Officers. Any help would be appreciated.

Multi Gratis,

Vale,

Demetrius
Bruce
Sorry to be dense, but are you refering to the urban cohorts?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Giaus,

Not the urban cohorts, but stators were regular milites in a legion

Vale,

Demetrius
Bruce
I might be way off base here but what time period are you looking for? I’m sure the policy changed throughout the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th century with a more standardized police force operating in Rome. (Assumption) I know that Suetonius makes a reference concerning Augustus and how he divided Rome into regions and wards. (13bc?) He placed the regions under the care of magistrates and the wards under the care of locally elected masters. I would assume they would provide their own “police forceâ€
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid
I think I’m tracking now….just had my coffee. Have you been to this web site? If you scroll down you will find different types of Optio. Your Optio Statorum is amongst the Listed. I just wonder what would his duties be? Would they be corrections based or possibly a combination of law and order? It is also possible that this particular job had its disadvantages, and was not well liked by his fellow legionaries. Most of his investigations would most likely be legionary on legionary crimes. If the legion were to be stationed at a more permanent post, this Optio and his subordinates would have a hand in local affairs. This may include crimes involving civilians and legionaries.

http://www.legiiavg.org.uk/military/optio.html
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid