Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new tunics
First one is just a modification of the existing white wool tunic I have had since I first got into reenacting. I added red woolen clavii in the same method that Primus Paulus did, in that I cut the tunic into sections, then attached it all together instead of sewing the clavii over top. All outer seems are hand sewn, inner are machine stitched by my grandma.

The green battle tunic is linen, and I have yet to do the hems on it by hand.

Both tunics fit me great, and the woolen one fits much better now that I've added the clavii.

[Image: WhiteTunicClavi.jpg]

[Image: WhiteTunicClavi2.jpg]

Legion: TBD
That looks cool! Where is the green battle tunic? :? lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Nice work, Matt!
I was wondering, when do short sleeved tunics become period?
Nice tunic by the way, I just go for the sleeveless look. The belt and bunching makes their own 'short sleeves'.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Not trying to be pushy here, but, furry boots is the green tunic? I see only the one with the clavii! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry guys, as you can see I double posted, because Photobucket was giving me grief. Here's the green tunic:

And if you're watching this thread Chuck, the clavii are about 3 inches wide, which is about the widest type that have been found, according to Sumner's book.

now is that 3 inches with or without the seam allowance?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Matt, do you use a specific type of wool for your tunic?
Marcus Aurelius Cotta
(Mark I)
Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato.
That's 3 inches finished Chuck, with the seams the clavii were probably closer to 3.5" wide before being sewn in.

Hey Marcus, it was just regular 100% wool that I purchased at a fabric store, but it's heavier than wool suiting, but lighter than blanket wool. It also isn't scratchy like most wools...it's actually quite soft..well for wool anyway.

Quote:And if you're watching this thread Chuck, the clavii are about 3 inches wide, which is about the widest type that have been found, according to Sumner's book.

Just to note further. 3 Inch clavii would most lilely be associated with a tunic of someone in the senatorial class. Members of the Order Equester most likely wore stripes of about 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 wide stripes.

-Severus