Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic D RAT Helmet database
Does anyone have this book with these pages:?: Feugère, M. (1993, trans. 2002), "Weapons of the Romans" (Tempus), p.205-7

I would like to have a look at what it says about the Gallic D Copy (the one in the RAT helmet database not destroyed in WWII) Big Grin

Does anyone have any photos of this helmet aside from the one on the RAT helmet database.

Thanks in advnace

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
This helmet was found in a burial at Verdun (Slovenia) It was found alongside a bent sword and a round conical shield boss indicating that the equipment belonged to an auxiliary soldier, and not a soldier who was Roman by origin.

It is NOT the helmet that was destroyed in WWII. That's a different helmet entirely. This is the destroyed Gallic D..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... allicD.jpg

and this is the helmet from Gallic D from Verdun..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... verdun.jpg

Similar grave finds are from Nijmegen (Gallic A) and Idria pri Baci (Gallic E) both tentatively attributed to auxiliary soldier burials.
I know someone who is in the process of making a copy of the one destroyed in WW2
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

Who is making the copy of the Gallic D destroyed in WWII. Joe Piela made one that is rather good although I have not compared it to the black and white photos of Robinson.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
He probably would not like me to advertise it, as he says it will be the only one he does for a private individual! I will ask him if it is ok to mention his name and get back to you! I know the peak in a real pain!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Peroni,

It appears that the silver rosettes on the WWII destroyed helmet photo are not in line with the hinge attachment. I dare say that the cheekguard may in fact be attached by some flat rivet under the browband (similar fashion to the way the Gallic G hinge is attached except that the rivet here can be seen) :?:

Also if one were to calcualte the size of the rivets relative to the size of the rosettes, the rivets would be quite small and consequently not strong enough to hold a cheekpiece of this size and would need support.

I know what Dr. Bishop has said, but unless we can look inside the helmet, we cannot determine this easily since many helmets do suffer from severe corrosion making the identifcation of the attachment point difficult. :?:

I know we discussed this on another post, but I had never seen the photo you sent to me. Big Grin

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
A friend of mine made this:

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v15 ... IM0014.jpg

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v15 ... IM0015.jpg

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v15 ... IM0016.jpg

I don't think he'll be making any for sale though. This one (for personal use) took a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
That is quite nice! The one being made by my friend is taking some blood sweat and tears too! Confusedhock: There are quite a few details not too evident from the photos, but he has a copy of the write up made back in the early 1900's, in German of course, which is being translated for him, or has been..... :?

Peroni --

do you have the tinted version of the photo? I believe it shows a few details not evident in the b&w photo!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
One of the members of our Society has a beautiful Gallic D made by White Rose Armoury here in the UK.

If I get the chance this weekend, I'll take some photos. His has the browguard decoration too. (the applied band which went around the front of the brow guard).

I have to agree with you Paulo, that it would seem more likely that the attachment rivets for the cheek plate hinge are indeed hidden beneath the brow band decoration. The inlaid rivet bosses are too 'out-of-line'.

Byron.. you can see the tinted photograph here..
http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/arma/c ... lour01.htm
Quote:the attachment rivets for the cheek plate hinge are indeed hidden beneath the brow band decoration. The inlaid rivet bosses are too 'out-of-line'.

That could depend on the shape of the attachment for the hinge?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thats the one peroni! Smile Thanks! It shows the chevron design on the browband!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new Gallic helmet! LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 3,677 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Lucius Petilius Remo
  Gallic D helmet Doc 1 1,159 02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Peroni
  Gallic helmet LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 11 2,821 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Crispvs