Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A strange silver mask from the Thorsberg bog
Thank You very much !

It'll bright me whole case. I'll show some shoots from work in progress ... soon.
Off course my version won't be so rich as oryginal ...but I'll try to keep similar details.
I've been waiting long time for this "helmet" as comission work Smile
Quote:Der germanische Helm aus dem Thorsberger Moor

This article does not include some of the materials and reconstructions that she showed, for instance, in her presentation at the ROMEC in Zagreb. Incidentally, Suzana Matešić is a RAT member known as noxia.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
There's a ROMEC XVII paper of her about the other Roman helmets from thorsberg
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Quote:There's a ROMEC XVII paper of her about the other Roman helmets from thorsberg

As a matter of fact, she presented both helmets in her presentation at the ROMEC 17.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
Quote:
Decebalus post=361550 Wrote:There's a ROMEC XVII paper of her about the other Roman helmets from thorsberg

As a matter of fact, she presented both helmets in her presentation at the ROMEC 17.

Ok.....but what's the message?
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
So, there's the crown done ...it's not quite correct like the oryginal. On the customer's wish I made it little bit stronger, so I used thicker brass sheet than I should and general proportion is little bit differend.
The mask soon ... Confusedmile:
[attachment=11699]thorsberg_headwear_1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11700]thorsberg_headwear_2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow!
The Vendel-era Ultuna and Valsgarde 5 helmets have somewhat similar open-basketwork structures.
Pecunia non olet
Hi everybody,

this is really a very good copy. For all of you, who are wondering, how this "crown" was used, have a look at the attachement.

regards
Suzana

[attachment=11733]Abb28.jpg[/attachment]

regards
noxia /Suzi
well, yes and not ...the pictures are showing "the crown" litlle bit more perfect than it really is
...oryginal crown (in oryginal proportions) wasn't fit so perfectly to the shape of the head ...there should be more empty space over the head's top
...You'll see when I'll finish my replica :wink:
'
just to clarify: it was never worn a crown. The pieces were found apart from each other and it was some "Kammerrat Herbst" who made the first reconstruction after a request from the excavator C. Engelhardt.

The pieces were formerly the decorative fittings of the rear part of a germanic helmet made after a roman role-model.
On the rear side the pieces do not fit together, as I could see firsthand because I had the possibility to examine the original find.

[attachment=11734]abb_118.jpg[/attachment]

regards
noxia /Suzi
nice pic. of back site ...it's pity I didn't see it befor ...well, I didn't say it's the crown ...but it's "the crown" ...I know it's possible that it could be decorative parts from some kind of the helmet ...but we can't say without any doubt it's really fact ...it's just an opinion
anyway...there's no doubt that "the crown' was a kind of headwear ...with the mask maybe (it means yes or not)
well no, it´s rather a matter of probability. As I did not mention all the arguments for a new and modified reconstruction, I can understand that you have difficulties in believing me. I submitted a detailed paper on the topic but it has not been published yet... since five years :x
If anyone is interested, I can send the preprint with still some mistakes to be deleted.

Actually even the folks in Schleswig are considering a new reconstruction for purposes of display. The original should not be modified again, as every change will let the orginal substance suffer more and the piece is in the nowadays version a piece of research history.

Originally the crown was the rear part of the mask. They belonged together as the hinge, which is missing in your copy, can proove. The rear part was slightly overlapping the front part, therefore the mask has towards the rear an undecorated zone which was not visible due to the rear part.

However, you did an amazing job and nothing is going to diminish your craftmanship.
If you need some more pics with details, for example the mask, feel free to contact me.
regards
noxia /Suzi
I guess You didn't understand my intention quite clear ...maybe just because my English Cry
Personally I belive that the crown and the mask are one integral thing. There's no hinge in my copy because I don't do it yet ...but it'll appear soon ...with the mask :-)
However, I know about several opinions and I choosed the best for me ...but it doesn't mean taht it's the only way for the reconstruction to me ...I respect all opinions in this case.
Besites ,the customer wishes "the crown" in the shape of basket as we know from all of the pictures.
Let me know if Your article will be published. It sounds really good Confusedmile:
...and thank You for an offer of help ine the future ...I'll let You know if I'll find any problem :-)
You must to understand that I create my replica with some directions ...I mean customer's wish (for exemple ,the mask will be fitted to his face). So, final result won't be exactly like oryginal stuff.
I had some break during making process ...but it's already done Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thorsberg tunic Tim Edwards 3 3,044 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Ingvar Sigurdson
  More pics of Thorsberg finds: Auxiliary H, umbo & belt Cornelius Quintus 7 3,214 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS