Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spolia Maxima
I'm looking for infromation about Spolia Maxima ritual, that is oblation in honour of Jupiter Feretriusz made by commander after killing of enemy's commander. I don't mean how such ritual took place or how one could deserve. I have such information. I need help in indication all Roman's commanders , who deserved it and circumestances in which their kill enemy's leader(dates and names of the defeated comanders would be useful too).
It would be graet if the person who writes such information would give the source he or she uses.
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
I think you speak of "spolia opima" ; we have only three cases of spolia opima and only one of this historically sure (the first mitological, the second pre-Allia), that of Marcellus. THe fourth case, the victory of Marcus Crassus, was refused by Octavian.

This is a link with the references you need:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... polia.html
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Hi,
these articles could interest you:

Flower, H. I.: The Tradition of the Spolia Opima: M. Claudius Marcellus and Augustus, Classical Antiquity 19/1, 2000, 34-64.

Harrison, S. J.: Augustus, the Poets, and the Spolia Opima, Classical Quarterly 39/2, 1989, 408-414.

Oakley, S. P.: Single Combat in the Roman Republic, Classical Quarterly 35/2, 1985, 392-410.

Rich, J. W.: Drusus and the Spolia Opima, Classical Quarterly 49.2, 1999, 544-555.

Greetings
Alexandr
Well I guess that Spolia Optima is the proper name for that ritual, but I have bad habit to use word "Maxima"... :oops:
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...