Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapons of the Romans; Michel Feugere
anyone read this one? i just got my copy today.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Me; it is a very good book. Big Grin
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
You can see a review here: ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2002/2002-11-25.htm
** Vincula/Lucy **
It's too hasty at times, and the references of several images are lacking.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
His discussion of shields is interesting. He theorizes that the curved cylindrical scutum was not in universal use by legionaries, but was used for specific siege situations. He points to many depictions of legionaries (including some on Trajan's Column I think) carrying other types of shields.

Interesting! (I am not qualified to make any further comments on that subject! :lol: )
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:His discussion of shields is interesting. He theorizes that the curved cylindrical scutum was not in universal use by legionaries, but was used for specific siege situations. He points to many depictions of legionaries (including some on Trajan's Column I think) carrying other types of shields.
That's cropped up before, and I'd never discount the idea of one type of shield per legionary.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
was this type perhaps only used during a manoeuvre such as the 'tortoise' ?
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:was this type perhaps only used during a manoeuvre such as the 'tortoise' ?
Who knows? But bear in mind that the classical straight-sided Imperial curved scutum is only a bit different to the "Augustan" curved-sided type, which itself is a Republican type with the top and bottom sawn off. So there is an evolution of sorts from a time that the likes of Lendon believe wasn't so focused on splitting tasks; legionaries mainly utilised for sieges, auxilia for field combat.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think its a great book. Good visuals (lots of photos) if that is something you like (which i do). A picture is worth a thousand words....

Cheers
Markus
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
A reasonably good book, a bit different interpretation / classification systems than in the dominant "anglo-saxon" histories (for example helmets). Some interesting black / white photos you won`t usually find elsewhere. Unfortunately there`s no index Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
A good book IMHO, exept that, as Robert said already,
Quote:the references of several images are lacking.