Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darth Samurai
This is way off topic...then again perhaps not too much.

Word comes out of Japan via the Star Wars collector's circuit that a Japanese company is making a limited edition (100) of traditional suits of samurai armor in the style of Darth Vader. The fact that Lucas borrowed heavily from ancient Japan is well known, this is just taking that fact to a logical conclusion.

The suit is 1/4 scale and will sell for $2700. Currently they plan to offer it only in Japan. Even at that price this suit will probably sell out quickly.

Link to site with info:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news ... 70213.html

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Hahah, very cool!

Legion: TBD
Avete omnes,

perhaps the life-size version will follow. My suggestion: they should include a smith’s hearth. Some 600 degrees Celsius charcoal fire and the Jedi-Katana will feature the typcal Vader-like red-hot glow…
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
hehehehhehhehhehe....Awwwwww yeah!

love it.

Although I'm sure it's been discussed by us Geeks before, but the "Imperial Navy Troopers / Garrison Troopers" soldiers, as seen in the movies, (A New Hope - The soldiers w/ Vader during Leia's interrogation scene onboard Death Star) have helmets that are much closer in concept and look of the Samurai kabuto helmets; whereas Vader's helmet is closer to the German infantry helmet of WW2.

Also, General Veers, onboard his AT-AT in Empire Strikes Back, wears a helmet that's inbetween the Wermacht style and Kabuto style in helmets

Of course, there IS influence of the kabuto in Vader's helmet, certainly.

*GEEK*
8)

PS - now all they need is a Katana that has a vivid red finish on the saya/scabbard... :roll:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I don't have the pic where I can get at it, but there is a well-known suit of Samurai armor that has a kabuto nearly identical to Darth's. It belonged to a Christian Daimyo who ended up in exile in the Philippines and its kabuto's forepeak comes down to a point over the bridge of the nose just like the Vader helmet, the only such Japanese example I know of. I am pretty sure that it inspired the original Vader helmet, though its menpo is the kind that covers only the cheeks, chin and throat.
Pecunia non olet
I've been informed that the Darth kabuto belonged to Naito Yukiyasu, 1570, and the armor is in the Tower of London Armouries.
Pecunia non olet
beautiful!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darth Vader Playing Golf caiusbeerquitius 1 1,296 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Titus Juventius Tertius