Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North African clothing reference
Came across this excellent website with drawings and descriptions of North African clothing. What struck me was the still identifiable shapes, particularly the sleeveless wide tunics. Others include Coptic styles, and some here would probably say "Ooh, I've got one like that."

http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/t ... tents.html

http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/t ... te/025.jpg
The kalasiris was always belted in such a manner as to gather the folds in front.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:some here would probably say "Ooh, I've got one like that."

Indeed! many styles are directly comparable to Late Roman and Byzantine period styles.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Jim

Thanks for the reference. There was a late night TV documentary many years ago showing tribesmen in Mauritania. They were dressed in a baggy tunic worn above the knee, pulled up and tied into a knot behind the neck. If I had been sitting down on a chair at the time I would have fallen off! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hi Jim

Thanks for the reference. There was a late night TV documentary many years ago showing tribesmen in Mauritania. They were dressed in a baggy tunic worn above the knee, pulled up and tied into a knot behind the neck. If I had been sitting down on a chair at the time I would have fallen off! Big Grin

Graham.
I wish I'd seen that! Confusedhock: I love searching through documentary photographer's webpages for essays they've done on middle eastern subjects, or even gypsies. You can just get a sense, I feel, for more ancient subjects.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!