Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores
I must add to the above statement, Hoffmann's arguments when capmpared to Scharf and Kulikowski.

Nicasie has written on the matter, which I'm reading now, and Drew-Bear also comes into play.

Iuniores, orginally, seeems to have been regarded as 'recruits'. Speidel found a 3rd c. inscription referring Mauri iuniores, but Nicasie does not regard that as anything other than rwewferring to recruits.

That there was a big army division in 364 is certain. We can now argue how the army was divided: splitting each unit in two (as Hoffmann thinks) or dividing all the units (as Nicasie thinks)?

While I'm not convinced by Hoffmann, I'm so far less convinced by other theories. If all units had already been divided into seniores-iuniores in the 350s, we can wonder why they still seem to end up in eastern or western armies, but not both versions in both armies more than they did.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores - by Robert Vermaat - 02-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,311 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,742 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Seniores and Iuniores (again) Colonel Chabert 23 3,432 01-09-2021, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross