Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Hilts Ivory?
Thank you all for the responses.

I am having a Fulham blade reconstructed and I would like to make the entire hilt out of ivory as a departure from the usual wood and bone. This of course depends on the evidence of hilts for Fulham and Mainz gladii. I am not going to just wing it and assume.

This is why I was wondering if there are any Mainz or Fulham styles hilts made of bone, ivory or both; no wood at all.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Pesonally ... I would go for it 8)
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Thank you all for the responses.

I am having a Fulham blade reconstructed and I would like to make the entire hilt out of ivory as a departure from the usual wood and bone. This of course depends on the evidence of hilts for Fulham and Mainz gladii. I am not going to just wing it and assume.

This is why I was wondering if there are any Mainz or Fulham styles hilts made of bone, ivory or both; no wood at all.

Thanks

Paolo

Interesting do you plan on using real ivory, or simulated ivory?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thank you Yoda for the encouragment. I think it would really look awesome with a two tone scabbard (silver and brass relief). If the pompeii sword and the spatha hilts are ivory and bone, I do no see why a Mainz or Fulham could not have been.

Paul, my armorer in Europe is trying to locate some real ivory.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Are there any more pictures of the pugio blade from Leiden? Also they seem to have improved the pictures in that forum. They seem a lot better resolution than the last time I looked at them! :? D
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

Do you have a link to the scabbards and hilts you are refering to?

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
Hello,

I have found, casually, another pommel made in ivory/bone. It's from Maltom Museum (UK):

http://www.maltonmuseum.co.uk/images/la ... dTools.jpg
Anybody have more information?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HS/HD Images of Republican Era Gladius hilts. Gaius Julius Caesar 11 2,427 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  gladius hilts Gaius Octavius Drusus 2 1,359 10-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Last Post: TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX
  Ivory gladius grips Gaius Octavius Drusus 3 1,242 02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes