Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
54mm Scale Manufacturer\'s Comparisons
Following on from previous discussions about this topic I thought I would post a picture of some of the models I have been working on. All claim to be 54 mm scale (1:32?) and from left to right in the picture they are:

1.Andrea
2.Romeo
3.El Viejo Dragon
4.Pegaso

The Pegaso is the same size, if not taller than the other models, and the pose is that of a crouching figure! Pegaso are great models, and usually much higher quality castings IMHO.

I like the range of figures produced by El Viejo Dragon, particularly because they tend to produce some unusual pieces (i.e. not the bog standard 1st Century AD Roman Legionary!). However, the castings are not as good a quality as Andrea or Pegaso, and they tend to be more difficult to paint (due to less parts), and assemble (the arms on some of these models are a nightmare to place, and I usually have to drill out holes and uses wires to ensure a good sound fit.

I am still experimenting with photography of my models so please excuse the poor quality image.

[Image: modelscalecomparison2ac7.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Ave Barry,

very interesting and a very good painting job - laudes point to you!

Try fabric / cloth instead of paper as a background (White xxl t-shirt) and you'll get no visible line at the bottom. Or use a larger piece of paper without buckling it.

You also might cut-out the 'frame' of your photograph with a simple paint or photo software (even MS paint will do) to focus the pic on the miniatures and avoid too much free space around.

BTW - more pics, please Big Grin
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Ave Heiko,

Thanks - my first laudes :lol:

Thanks also for the tips on photography - I will try a different background material. I have been experimenting with the Macro mode on my digital camera to try to get decent quality images. Any tips?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Here, thanks to Heiko, is a cropped and "improved" version of the same picture Big Grin

[Image: ModelScaleComparison1.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
nice job my friend. Is better if you dont use white or black colored papers. Use some light blue, blue, dark grey, you will see the difference. Also put the paper under your figures and on the wall so you will not get a hard line.

I votee Pegaso, Soldiers, Andrea and last E. V. Dragon
Periklis Salessiotis

<a class="postlink" href="http://periklis-salessiotis.moonfruit.com">http://periklis-salessiotis.moonfruit.com

[Image: 06.jpg]
Hi Periklis,

Thanks for the tip!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I dunno. EV Dragon sometimes quite nice figures and often suffer less from casting defects, which sadly is sometimes a problem with our friends from Andrea.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Camps n 54mm Scale Narukami 2 2,303 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Roman Naval Ship in 54mm Scale Narukami 15 5,953 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar