Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For once, good news from Jerusalem
Here is a reference to an article from the Jerusalem Post. The text is here:

Archeologist: Ancient cistern proves location of Second Temple

By ETGAR LEFKOVITS

An Israeli archeologist said Wednesday that he has pinpointed the exact location of the Second Jewish Temple on the Temple Mount.

The site identified by Hebrew University archeologist Prof. Joseph Patrich, based on the study of a large underground cistern on the Temple Mount and passages from the Mishna, places the Temple and its corresponding courtyards, chambers and gates in a more southeasterly and diagonal frame of reference compared to previous studies.

Patrich based his research, which is about to be published, on a study of a large underground cistern on the Temple Mount that was mapped by British engineer Sir Charles Wilson in 1866 on behalf of the Palestine Exploration Fund, along with passages from the Mishna.

The giant cistern, 4.5 meters wide and 54 meters long, lay near the southeastern corner of the upper platform of the Temple Mount. Examining the location and configuration of the cistern together with descriptions of the daily rite in the Temple and its surroundings found in the Mishna, Patrich said that this cistern is the only one found on the Temple Mount that can tie in with the ancient rabbinic text describing elements involved in the daily purification and sacrificial duties carried out by the priests on the altar in the Temple courtyard.

On this basis, he says, one can reconstruct the placement of a large basin that was used by the priests for their ritual washing, with the water being drawn by a waterwheel mechanism from the cistern.

After this purification, the priests ascended the nearby ramp to the sacrificial altar.

By thus locating the laver, the water wheel, the ramp and the altar, one can then finally map, again in coordination with the Mishna, the alignment of the Temple itself and its gates and chambers, he said.

These considerations led Patrich to place the Second Temple further to the east and south than earlier thought, and at a southeasterly angle relative to the eastern wall of the Temple Mount, and not perpendicular to it, as earlier assumed.

Patrich said that his research indicates that the rock over which the Dome of the Rock was built in the 7th century CE is actually outside the confines of the Temple.

The rock is believed to be the place at which the binding of Isaac took place, while Muslims consider it to be the spot from which Muhammad ascended to heaven.

The Temple Mount is Judaism's holiest site as the ancient compound where the two Jewish Temples stood, and is Islam's third holiest site after Mecca and Medina.

Why is this good news? If true, it proves that the Temple did not stand on the place of the Dome of the Rock. And that means that Muslims need not be afraid that Jews will demolish their sanctuary (as was attempted in the late 1960's). Let's hope that it takes away some suspicion, and that the Palestinian Authorities can give up their theory that the Temple was never on the Temple Mount, which has led to the destruction of ancient remains.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Of course, I was too optimistic. Perhaps I should have known.
[Image: 4394temple1.jpg]
This is a map of the new location. As you see, there is an overlap.
Jona Lendering
My website
Actually, it's not so bad. The Rock itself isn't within the Temple area, and possibly the Ark itself would not have been within the confines of the Dome. The important spots may have just become geographically exclusive to each other. If anything, it might give no course of action to both parties but to at least come to the table and discuss the discovery.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In fact, a modern architect might create a lovely building in which both sanctuaries are sort in included. But I am afraid that there is not much will to share the place. Even the repair of the stairs outside the western wall, which was absolutely necessary because accidents have already taken place, results in demonstrations these days. It is all so sad.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:. Even the repair of the stairs outside the western wall, which was absolutely necessary because accidents have already taken place, results in demonstrations these days. It is all so sad.

This is so disgusting.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
There is rather too much history in those areas.

But here is the opposite: a leading Dutch newspaper has decided not to publish about the discovery, because it was too political. In other words, studying ancient history is OK, writing about silly details is fine as well - but it must not all of a sudden become relevant. Then what's the point of stuying the past at all?

And yes, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable that we have a forum rule not to discuss politics. Of course it makes sense, but it also means that we must stick to harmless antiquarianism (the emblem of a legion, a soldiers' training schedule...) and that we can never discuss more important items (the nature of imperialism). I understand why, and I also understand why -when I once proposed to allow discussing at least the obviously financial aspects of archaeology- almost nobody was interested. But still, debate is the only way to overcome bias; if newspapers (or scholars) refuse to discuss politics, we must not be surprised about what's happening in Jerusalem.
Jona Lendering
My website
Lets show some respect for human stupidity, the mightiest power on Earth :lol:

Kind regards
Quote:Lets show some respect for human stupidity, the mightiest power on Earth :lol:
A great rephrasing of Hanlon's razor! :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Lets show some respect for human stupidity, the mightiest power on Earth :lol:

Ave Stephanos,

I feel the power of stupideas - avanti dilettanti ! 8)
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I just saw it in the TV news. It becomes ugly.
Any more doubts about human stupidity :?:
All parties involved seem to posses it equally.

On second thoughts:
If it was not for human stupidity we would reenanct only Eforoi and Senators and not hoplites or legionaries.
Would that be boring? :roll:

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iraq: When bad news is actually good news Jona Lendering 0 970 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering