Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linothorax shoulder section
So, now your lino is complete and your litigation, too, are you and Haydee coming over for this year's Festival or WHAT?! Smile
If Jason's linothorax has survived being soaking wet then I'd guess that he hasn't used any glue at all.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
But the point he was making was precisely that he had ONLY used glue and it survived the soaking. It surprised the hell out of me, as I can't see a good way of keying the joint.
Well,dave,I'm afraid I'm a bit late in responding as i think you have already made your epomides(it's the greek word for coverings of the shoulders).For my linothorax I used the pattern from Peter Connoly.I experimented with carton befor moving to the fabric but I was lucky and it suited me from the begining...If I remember well,the rake from the base of the flap to the tip was about 12cm.As Paul said the thickness should be so to cover as much of your shoulder without restricting your movement.The same is with the part that it attached to the back.It's purpose is to cover the holes and the uncovered parts made by the curves of the linothorax to allow your arms move.But if you make it too wide you won't be able to move your arms buckwards.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kadoglou_ ... pg&.src=ph this is my linothorax

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... ent=he.jpg and this is Peter Connoly's pattern.I don't think you should make the epomides wider in any part,but if you want to make them a bit narrower to the end,it shouldn't be much.Your choise,vases are not always the same,nor very clear...

Now,I only glued my epomides and I don't have problems.I would suggest stiching also,though,for more safety.My "lino"thorax is actually a "canvasthorax" and is waterproof!It's natural very thick canvas used for tents and even one layer without glue is almost waterproof.I needed only four layers to reach a thickness of 0.4-0.5 cm Inaccurate,but handy :oops:
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Your lino looks really good, Giannis, despite the canvas! :lol: How wide are the pteryges?
Yes i used PVA woodwork glue which once set is imperviouse to water, I made this one before i did three years research on the linothorax. I now firmly believe the ancient greeks never used glue!!!

When i get around to making another one i will only be sewing it together quilting style.

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Paul,I don't have my linothorax close t me now,it's in my home town,but if I remember well they're 5.5 cm wide.I'm pleased with that,but I would rather had made them a bit shorter...In most vases the pteryges are so short(in addition to the body)that the hoplite is able to sit without the pteryges to touch the ground(look at the achilles and Patroclos vase for example)
Giannis K. Hoplite
I agree, that's how they should be, the vases show the warriors' genitals dangling below the line of the pteryges!
Yeap,I wanted to feel secured and I just covered them :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite