Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cataphracts
I have just read an article in JRMS 9 on the Sarmation influence on Roman cataphracts. It seemed to be suggesting that some of these guys rode side saddle Confusedhock:

Is there evidence for side saddles in antiquity ?

It aslo mentions that the kontos may have been strapped to the horses neck, which to me sound s a bit daft Sad
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hello
just curious - who is the author and what is the year of this article?
in totality a very 'interesting' idea - a lancer cavalry riding 'side-saddle', unable to wield kontos. Can you elaborate more?
There is something resembling a side saddle, albeit with armoured trousers = a Greek vase depiction of a 4th century BC Persian Cavalryman - but that may be just an artistic way to depict those armoured pants that did not have long life in the Achaemenid Persian cavalry anyway
Dario
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
IIRC, there are just a few images showing what seems to be cavalrymen with tight ankle-length armour, which prevents them from riding normally. So they ride side-saddle. However, it's just an interpretation, and I can't really say if wielding a long lance would be feasable, riding like that! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
http://www.armatura.connectfree.co.uk/jrmes/vol09.htm

The inference was that if the kontos was lashed to the front of the horse then a side saddle was possible.

It was also suggested that this mode of riding was to show contempt for the emeny.
Conal Moran

Yoda
I think that idea is derived from the 1872(?) Panticapaeum wall painting that shows a number of Sarmatian-style armoured cavalrymen wielding the contus and appearing to ride side-saddle. Pictures can be found in Mielczarek's "Cataphracti i Clibinarii" and probably a couple of other sources.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Pictures can be found in Mielczarek's "Cataphracti i Clibinarii" .
Not that one. I have the book in front of me.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
MeinPanzer:1ml6dum8 Wrote:Pictures can be found in Mielczarek's "Cataphracti i Clibinarii" .

:/ I get all those Panticapaeum tomb paintings mixed up a lot. I'll look through my books when I get home to see if I can find a picture of them.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:
MeinPanzer:2e6pa60k Wrote:Pictures can be found in Mielczarek's "Cataphracti i Clibinarii" .

I am awaiting a possible reprint of this ..... how do you rate it ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Interesting but mostly speculation based on little real evidence (because there is so little evidence). Worth getting though.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Sometimes a bit vague and cinfusing, but I attribute that to the translation into English. His list of sources and quotes about heavy cavalry is indispensable though.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I am awaiting a possible reprint of this ..... how do you rate it ?

It's the most comprehensive single publication dealing with armoured cavalry in the ancient world, though if you pick it up, you quickly realize that there's not all that much information out there. As Nik said, much of it is speculation, but it is well worth it for the citations, references of other studies, and images alone.
Ruben