Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Help please.
I am new to this forum and forums in general(posting anyway) so please forgive me if I seem to ramble.

I am looking to portray a greek warrior(Yes vary vague at the moment) in the SCA. I am currently looking at two different time periods. 700BC and 400BC. What I am looking for is differences in them and such pertaining to

1. Types of Armour and weapons
2. Clothing styles and materials
3. Naming practices and sources to confirm this
4. Use of images on shields and such, including color schemes
5. Any other information that would be helpful

I plan to make this protrayal as accurate as possible given the particular rules in the SCA concerning armour. But it is my hope to make all other aspects as accurate as possible. Thanks in advance to any who choose to respond to this. I have been reading various forums for some time and realize that some do not have a pleasant view of the SCA. Any how thanks
Hi,Larry.
I,too,began as a Greek reenactor. There will be some variation in kit for the different time periods.I can best speak for the 400 BC one. In that time you'll be pretty much a Hoplite warrior. I'd suggest Attic or maybe Corinthian helm,Linothorax,aspis,and spear,possibly Greek sword.
There are lots of good sites showing Greek soldiers of this period.You could also try the Greek forum on this site as well as Matt Amt's site.Yes,he does Greek hoplite,too. One of the most knowledgeable people I've ever spoken to is Stefanos(here on RAT). I dare say he could answer any question you might have in great detail.
Good luck.(don't say sca too loud though :wink:
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Larry wellcome.

Period 700 B.C. look at the "Beotian Shield" threads and you will find may answers.

Classical Period check the linothorax threads.

For naming pieces of equipment in Greek simply ask me or any other Greek members of the forum.

Kind regards
Thanks, I have been watching the boetian shield thread that is an excellent piece of work.

Now I believe I was a bit vague on what I was asking. Let me clarify.

Ok now say for a 700BC would it be
linothorax or something else? Greaves? Arm protection? Etc..

Clothing would be a chiton correct?

As for the naming thing I meant peoples names. On a side not I dont read greek :?

As for color schemes are there any colors that would be no no's
Larry,

People here generally won't want to answer detailed questions, they will, rather, point you to the places where you can do your own research. It's better for both parties, because we won't then have you coming back with questions about our answers and you will pick up useful stuff you may not have thought to ask. See if you can get hold of a good reference book, like Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" (which will not only answer all the questions you've asked so far, but also give the background history) or Tim Everson's "Warfare in Ancient Greece".
Larry
I have posted an image on what a noble warrior of 800 to 700 B.C would look like on the Beotian shield thread.

Armguards and info on archaic warriors here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=13464

Archaic warrior of 700 B.C. would cast heavy javelins behind the "beotian" shield and then would close with the sword.
The better armored nobles would be leading the attacks like foot knights.

Then around 700 B.C Pheidon perfected the phalanx spearmen and that was their end.

Kind regards
Thank you all very very much. Please forgive me if I seemed to be overly inquisative. This has been a long time coming to fruitation. And I believe I finally have the necessaties to do this. Your links have been a big help and hopefully has started me on the road I wish to be on. Thanks again