Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ideas on deatchable pteryges
hi, I'm new! i found this forum by "4hoplites" and I'd like to pose a question about ideas on detachable pteryges.

I've recently made a linothorax and read threw a couple books about them and they both said that sometimes the pteryges were detachable so I'd like to do something like that but I'm wondering, how do you suppose they were attached? i was thinking of punching holes in the thorax near the bottom and lacing them on with rope or leather. what other options might there be?

also on a side note, is painting the thorax before attaching the solder section a bad thing..?

thanks!
dave woodruff
Hi screwed,

It's a rule here to place your real name in your signature before posting.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
my mistake, is that better?
dave woodruff
Dave,

I think I would make loops or other attachment points on the inside lower edge. This would make it more visually appealing while maintaining the appearance of one piece.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Hi,Dave.
Would you consider putting the pteryges on as a belt? Just buckle it on and put on the linothorax. I made mine attatched to my linothorax,though.
Or you could wear a subarmalis with them attatched as some Romans do.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Wellcome Dave.
Please have the patience to search and read the linothorax threads in this section and will found answers and interesting images.
Kind regards
So, Hoplite re-construction is alive and well in Japan, eh? But by a European, it seems...Meanwhile, back in England, more Europeans are re-enacting Samurai and jolly fine kit they have, too.
Paul m.,

that might be a good idea, but what kind of attachments would you recommend? brass loops? or just leather?

Andy,

i dunno about the belt, i think it would move around to much...

Stefanos,

yea i looked a little bit and didn't find anything particularly helpful on the subject and even if there was, it would have been mixed in pages and pages of other threads so what i thought was why not start a dedicated thread to people who forgot to cut out the pteryges :oops:

Paul a,

yea well I'm sure there are many other Japanese people who do the same thing although i don't think, from my experience, that it would be a very popular thing, especially in Tokyo. as for the samurai re-enactment by western people, i agree, it seems to have, along with Aime, sushi and everything "Japanese", taken to a huge boom in the last 5ish years! Good i think, especially for the USA who needs to be more "international."
dave woodruff
Speaking of Samurai, sometimes the Kusazuri, or what I call thigh flaps were attached by a belt, instead of being laced right to the front and back plates of the body armor. Maybe the greeks thought of that 1000 years earlier?

[url:3bxc2yuc]http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt929024jc/?NAAN=13030&docId=kt929024jc&layout=printable-details[/url]

Legion: TBD
In the linothorax thread:

Jason Hoffman who has studied the subject in depth has posted imges of liothoraxes showing the pteryge detached.

I have posted an image of Mr Porporis "sub armalis".

To summarize:

99% chances are that linothorax pteruges were attached separtly either attached to linothorax or "girdled" somehow.
Both assumptions hold an elémemt of validity.

1/% (highly speculative) some form of "subarmalis".

So in my opinion is a matter of choice.

Kind regards
wheres the linothorax thread? i cant seem to find it.....
dave woodruff
There's this thread which you should trawl through.
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 9510#79510
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
thanks jim! dunno how you found that but it was def. helpful!
dave woodruff