Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hamata - source
I'm having the same problem. If someone has the original Greek it would be much easier to translate. The above came from Perseus.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... ent%3D%236
Apparently Perseus has a tool called "configure display" to convert Latin characters to Greek ones. I haven't worked out how to use it yet.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:I'm having the same problem. If someone has the original Greek it would be much easier to translate. The above came from Perseus.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... ent%3D%236
Apparently Perseus has a tool called "configure display" to convert Latin characters to Greek ones. I haven't worked out how to use it yet.

The only Greek version of this I may have found is from a Greek version of Wikisource: Strabo (in Greek)

As I am an Italian-American hayseed with no Greek (Sorry, bad Marius reference Wink ), I can't tell you if this is it or not. I will keep looking unless this works.
Quote:re: Strabo quote.

If you could actually type in or scan the real greek letters, rather than the transliterated stuff, I could translate it. The transliteration is too confusing.

Kevin

Just transliterate it into Greek characters onto a sheet of paper. It would only take about a minute. I'm still learning Greek, and I can make sense of the words (but not all of it) in their transliterated form. It's missing accents and elision, but you should be able to make sense of such a short passage without those.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Found an entry in Strabo [8.7.12].

hê de mastix ên triplê halusidôtê apêrtêmenous echousa ex hautês astragalous, hoi plêttontes to chalkion sunechôs, hopote aiôrointo hupo tôn anemôn, makrous êchous apeirgazonto, heôs ho metrôn ton chronon apo tês archês tou êchou mechri telous kai epi tetrakosia proelthoi

In fact, here, I'll do it. This is done with characters copied form the Greek alphabet wikipedia entry, so I can't get accents or breathings, but you should be able to make sense of the breathings from the transliteration about.

η δε μαστιξ ην τριπλη αλυσιδωτη απηρτημενους εχουσα εξ αυτης αστραγαλους, οι πληττοντες το χαλκιον συνεχως, οποτε αιωροιντο υπο των ανεμων, μακρους ηχους απειργαζοντο, εως ο μετρων τον χρονον απο της αρχης του ηχου μεχρι τελους και επι τετρακοσια προελθοι.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Your quote is from Strabo 7.7.12 and not from book 8. If you select it thus you'll find a translation by clicking on "english" at the top of the page.

The translation runs thus:

Quote:In the temple was a copper vessel with a statue of a man situated above it and holding a copper scourge, dedicated by the Corcyraeans; the scourge was three-fold and wrought in chain fashion, with bones strung from it; and these bones, striking the copper vessel continuously when they were swung by the winds, would produce tones so long that anyone who measured the time from the beginning of the tone to the end could count to four hundred.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Hey hey Rob, you're the man. I tried clicking on "English" and the translation stopped before this paragraph. Dunno what I did wrong.

So this has nothing to do with armour. So what is this Strabo passage that people reckon mentions mail armour?

Why do we think that the Romans used lorica hamata to describe this armour when the earliest source only dates to 405 AD?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Hey hey Rob, you're the man. I tried clicking on "English" and the translation stopped before this paragraph. Dunno what I did wrong.

[...]
Somehow your link included not just the proper page, but also the wrong search string. I don't know how you managed that, but perhaps it's a fault in the Perseus site software.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters