Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Plumata
Hi everyone. I am new to RAT although I have read many of your wonderful posts and have learned a great deal. I was interested in knowing if anyone has any photos of the Augsburg Plumata along with any details relating to chainmail ring sizes and scales sizes. Big Grin
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
According to Robinson (1975/Armour of Imperial Rome), the Augsburg lorica plumata basically consists of a bronze lorica hamata with iron and bronze scales fitted alternatingly to the bronze rings.
(I don't know if the iron scales were tinned, but I think it very likely)

The size of the scales is reported to be 1 cm by 0,7 cm.

I've got two images of this scale/mail cuirass, but their quality is not the best. Send me a pm with your email address if you are interested.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Hmm. I looked at the original several times, and it always seemed to me that the chainmail is iron and the scales are bronze, not vice versa. The mail is alternating punched /riveted the outer diameter of the rings is 4 mm (sic!). The size of the scales is just like Florian has said above.
There are sveral iron scales, but to speak of alternating for the whole armour would be a bit too far. If you look at my pic below you will see that on the right part of the left piece there are no iron scales at all. Probably only the shoulder doubling had the alternating scales. But I´ll have a closer look next time I´m there.
[Image: DSC02692.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Yep, seems to be the case Big Grin

Good image!
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Thank you Mr. Himmler and Mr. Koepfer for the information Big Grin ?:

Iron mail of a small size has been found with respect to Lorica Hamata. But considering the small size of the scales and the thinner wire needed for the ring mail required to weave such small rings, unless the iron was tinned or silvered, I believe it would have not survived :?:

I am presently trying to figure out exactly what you gentlemen have mentioned. I was thinking of going with brass chainmail for the plumata backing containing alternating rows of brass and iron scales. But some interesting points have been raised with respect to tinning the iron scales and the chainmail itself being iron.

Is there a close up of the pic since from the given distance it is difficult to decipher what the details are.

Thanks

Doc
(Paolo)
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The pic above is propably as close as you can get... Smile roll: Big Grin
Christian K.

Here´s a detail of the left side of the right piece. Smile [Image: plumatadetail.jpg]
Christian K.

Thank you for the reply and pic.

Have any plumata chain mail rings ever been found made of iron. Also would it be "accurate" to produce a chainmail plumata shirt of brass?

I know that the orignals are bronze. But if one looks at the Newstead piece, the scales and the mail rings are quite yellow almost like an orichulum color. Could a plumata shirt be made form orichulum?

Paolo
Depends on what you want to use it for. If you are making a replica then obviously not. You are stuck with archeaological evidence. If not, then you can make it out of whatever you want. The Romans were certainly familiar with brass.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica plumata scales Anonymous 23 11,561 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Doc