Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carthage and the Vandals
I think this was in the wrong forum before.

I'm working on a short story set in Carthage in 439, when the Vandals captured the city, and I need some information. I can find maps of Carthage in Phoenician times, but none of the Roman period. Does anyone know any?

The accounts of Carthage's fall I've found are rather dry and sometimes contradictory. I know the city fell with almost no fighting, but what was the sack of the city like? Chaotic? Orderly? Did Gaiseric order his warriors to loot the city or did he just let them do it, knowing he could not stop them? Did Gaiseric even lead the Vandals into Carthage? One account I've read implies it was his son Huneric, but that might have been awkward phrasing by the author. I guess what I really want is to get a feeling for the details. The broad outlines are easy enough to research, but the smaller things are harder to find, especially when dealing with such ancient events.

What books or documentaries on the subject would you recommend?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
maybe a start: the map shows the roman streets and buildings

Karthago
Jens Wucherpfennig
That's helpful, even if it's in German. It's been hard to find anything.
I was lucky enough to spend 10 days in Tunisia late 2006 looking at all of the fantastic Roman sites there. I have a couple of decent guide books at home which I will check out and scan and post anything relevant.

Good luck with the project
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hi Almuric,
Did a quick search on my database and came up with the following references to the capture of Carthage in 439, none go into great detail.

CHRON.PASCH.439 + MARCELL.COM.439 + VICT. VIT.12 + ISID.VAND.75 + SALVIAN.DE.GUB.6;12 + GALL.CHRON.511.595 + GALL.CHRON.452.129

Only Isidore of Seville says that much booty was taken and that many people were tortured and killed which might be the angle you want to play up for your story.

There seems to have been a hint of treachery employed.

For relatively recent modern work on Carthage see:
A.M.Cameron, ‘Byzantine Africa-The Literary Evidence’, University of Michigan Excavations, 7 (1982), 29-62.
C. Wells, ‘Carthage: The Late Roman Defences’, Roman Frontier Studies 1979 , eds W.S. Hanson and L.J.F. Keppie (BAR.Int.Series, S71, Oxford, 1980), 999-1004.

I might have photocopies of these at home if you are stuck.

Just an aside - the initial Byzantine reconquest of N.Africa as recounted by Procopius may provide a little more meat for a story.
Stephen McCotter