Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantium And Its Army 284-1081
By, Warren T. Treadgold. Amazon is running a deal on this book. They match it up with Maurice Strategikon with a discount. Is this a good book? Would it be good for a newcomer to Byzantine military history?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
I have read this book and for me it was a good introduction to byzantine history. Maurice Strategicon I did not read so I don't know about that.

From blackwell's bookshop
Long Description :

The Byzantine Empire was almost always ready to fight, and often fought for its life. During much of its history its provinces were military districts called themes, and acclamation by the army, not coronation or inheritance, was what made a man emperor. The army overthrew twenty-odd rulers, and tried to oust many more. It was large and expansive but on the whole it served its purpose well. Over eight centuries, despite losing a surprising number of battles, the army succeeded in preserving both itself and Byzantium. In view of its importance in Byzantine history, it is surprising that this volume is the first general book on the Byzantine army in any language. The author traces the army s impact on the Byzantine state and society from the army s reorganization under Diocletian (284-305) until its disintegration in the aftermath of the battle of Manzikert (1071). He suggests solutions to some major unresolved questions of Byzantine military history: how big was the army, how was it organized, how much of it was cavalry, how much was it paid, how was it supplied, when and why did it receive land grants in the themes, and why, after surviving so many disasters, did it fail to survive the not particularly disastrous eleventh century?

Table of Contents
Tables and maps
Introduction
1. The Roman army's second millennium
2. Numbers
3. Structures
4. Pay
5. The army and society
6. The army and the state
Appendix
Bibliography
Index.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Definitely worth getting this deal IMO.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Hi,
it's really interesting book, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction for newbies. I think one should already have some basic knowledge of the late Roman/early Byzantine warfare. It's heavily concentrated on economy (soldier's pay, overall expenditures of Byzantine empire on army, what burden presented the army for civilians etc. - some of Treadgolds calculations seemed quite speculative to me). Other aspects of Byzantine warfare are almost absolutely omitted (for example weapons and equipment).
Well, on one hand I don't think, this book is a good introduction in Byzantine warfare, on the other hand, there aren't many books about early Byzantine warfare as far as I know, so this publication is certainly worth reading/getting even for newbies.
Greetings
Alexandr
What portion of the book is about the period 284-500?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert, the book is thematic in structure, not chronogical. It's some 250 pages, of which 220 main text. Very interesting, but as Alexandr said, very topical.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It's also a lot about the pay of the army and the expenditures for it in the period to 1081.

Also interesting :
for the period after Manzikert is The Late Byzantine Army: Arms and Society, 1204-1453
Arms and Society, 1204-1453 Bartusis, Mark C. ISBN: 0812216202
Edition New ed PaperbackUniversity of Pennsylvania Press

General reading :
Warfare, State and Society in the Byzantine World
John F. Haldon ISBN: 185728495X Paperback Taylor & Francis Ltd
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:What portion of the book is about the period 284-500?
Hi Robert,
perhaps this detailed content will help you:

Introduction, p. 1-7

1) The Roman Army's Second Millenium, p. 8-42
- The Defensive Army of Diocletian, p. 9-13
- The Professional Army of Anastasius, p. 14-20
- The Themes of Constans II, p. 21-27
- The Tagmata of Constantine V, p. 28-31
- The Flexible Army of Theophilus, p. 32-38
- The Army's Collapse, p. 39-42

2) Numbers, p. 43-86
- The Problem of the Notitia Dignitatum, p. 44-48
- The Problem of Zosimus, p. 49-58
- The Problem of Agathias, p. 59-63
- The Problem of al-Jarmí, p. 64-74
- Problem of the Missing Total, p. 75-86

3) Structures, p. 87-117
- Diocletian's Regiments, p. 87-92
- Maurice's Regiments, p. 93-97
- From Legion to Theme, p. 98-108
- The Army of Conquest, p. 109-117

4) Pay, p. 118-157
- The Pay Scale of Theophilus, p. 119-134
- Pay after Theophilus, p. 135-140
- From Theophilus Back to Justinian, p. 141-148
- From Justinian Back to Diocletian, p. 149-157

5) The Army and Society, p. 158-186
- Manpower, p. 159-165
- Money and Trade, p. 166-170
- Land and Military Land, p. 171-178
- Warehouses, p. 179-186

6) The Army and the State, p. 187-222
- Military and Other Spending, p. 188-198
- Fending Off Barbarians, p. 199-205
- Surviving Catastrophe, p. 206-210
- Regaining Superiority, p. 211-213
- Losing the Peace, p. 214-222

Appendix: List of Eastern Roman (Byzantine Emperors (284-1118), p. 223-226

Bibliography, p. 227-234

Index, p. 235-?

Greetings
Alexandr
It's on order. I'd like a little more on arms and equipment, so it may not be my cup of tea, but we shall see. Anyway, I firmly subscribe to the idea that if you are going to learn to swim you may as well jump in at the deep end, (motivation and all that kind of stuff).
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
OK, I wants it. Do we have a RAT link to this book yet?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)