Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Helmet Crest Knob
Just thought I would showcase this intersting Helmet Crest Knob.

Helmet Crest Knob

I personally have never seen one like it, but in my opinion it definately fits.

The majority of the ones I've seen appear to mainly be after thought items. IE they were drilled or cut after they were already molded. This item, based on the shape appears to have been molded in this manner from the start.

Comments anyone?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
The link doesn't seem to work. Sad
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Shoot. It should be fixed now.

Sorry about that!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Who tells that this should be a crest-knob?
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
No one. Based on the dimensions and attributes I can't surmise that it’s anything else. It sure as heck isn't a furniture knob.....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Quote:Based on the dimensions and attributes I can't surmise that it’s anything else. It sure as heck isn't a furniture knob.....

I'm fairly certain it isn't a helmet crest knob (the lug beneath what appears to be the base is wrong since they were usually either integral to the bowl (Montefortino) or soldered in place (Coolus)). Best parallel I can come up with after a very brief search is a bone object from Aldborough* identified as a fan handle. This isn't as daft as it seems as a lot of personal items (pins, needles, combs) were functionally the same, even though made from different materials (bone, wood, copper alloy etc). It shares the stem with the slit pieced by a lateral hole, as well as the bead-and-reel moulded decoration, but the Aldborough object is much longer (but we don't have a lot of Roman fans to play with, so that needn't mean much).

Mike Bishop

*Bishop, M.C. 1996: Finds from Roman Aldborough. A Catalogue of Small Finds from the Romano-British Town of Isurium Brigantum, Oxbow Monograph 65, Oxford
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Interesting thoughts Mike. The parallels are obvious when you compare the item you describe. Do you have any pictures of it?

I would find it unusual though that a fan handle would be made of a solid cast copper alloy. Bone seems much more applicable when you consider its uses. This has quite some weight to it, and as you mentioned the example you speak of is quite longer.

What about a later period helmet? Not being bronze like the Montefortino or Coolus. Many of them still had a copper alloy knob on top. I can't see them welding one of those to Iron. How were they mounted then? Could they not have been riveted to a Bronze cross brace?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Quote:Interesting thoughts Mike. The parallels are obvious when you compare the item you describe. Do you have any pictures of it?

The drawing in the catalogue was not mine so I can't post it here.

Quote:I would find it unusual though that a fan handle would be made of a solid cast copper alloy. Bone seems much more applicable when you consider its uses. This has quite some weight to it, and as you mentioned the example you speak of is quite longer.

All sort of implements were made out of cast copper alloy and it would be quite normal to find an object like a fan handle made this way. The length is neither here nor there as designs may have varied.

Quote:What about a later period helmet? Not being bronze like the Montefortino or Coolus. Many of them still had a copper alloy knob on top. I can't see them welding one of those to Iron. How were they mounted then? Could they not have been riveted to a Bronze cross brace?

No, there are no parallels I am aware of attached to or associated with helmets. I'm afraid wanting it to be a crest knob doesn't make it so; still, it's an interesting object and I shall get Lindsay Allason-Jones to have a look at the piccies as she's much better at the non-military stuff than me. If a fan handle, it's a darned sight rarer than a crest knob!

Solder was occasionally used on ferrous metal objects, but I don't think you can weld/braze iron/steel and any of the copper alloys together because of the melting points (but some of the metal bashers will give you a better answer on that than me). I have little doubt that if the Romans had had Blu-Tak or double-sided tape they'd have used that!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike. I would appreciate some further input when you get it.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a helmet crest 1493541 18 3,900 03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Helmet crest from Hadrian’s Wall arminius 12 3,148 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Tim Edwards
  Montefortino Crest Knob Poftim 2 1,231 10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Poftim