Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some information on Military-Population
Hi there,

Im world building for a book right now, fantasy not history, and at the moment im working on populations and military dispositions.

Ive been searching dilligently on the net for information but am having a hard time tracking down what I need.

Basically im looking for a baseline idea of the % of military, army strength, against population.

I know the information, census data and troops strengths are debatable from ancient times, and im not looking for a 100% accurate answer just a good idea of figures to work from.

As best I can find it seems to be about 0.3-0.5% of total population would be the average throughout the Roman era.

The figures for the total population of the Empire at its peak are ranged from 70-120 million depending whos work you read. The military figures range from 300,000 - 700,000, again depending whos working the study.

I know not all of the troops would be available or fieldable, many were probably dead and just on the books, others retired, etc.

Im just trying to get a grasp of a reasonalbe military-population % to work from. The finer can be explained in terms of the combative nature of the nation, history, its economy, and of course its rulership.

Its ironic, through tiome ive gathered alot of information on logistics, tactics, military warfare etc, but when it came to putting forth a logical field strength for an army, I suddenly realised its not as simple as it seems.

Whether anyone has information or can point me at a good source, either would be greatly appreciated.

Im living iN Argentina and dont speak spanish natively (I speak it well enough but historical texts in spanish would kill me) so its not so easy to find good literature on the subject which is why im using the internet mainly.

Also any demographic information regarding population location is next on my list. People living int owns and villages and outside of cities compared to the city populations and how they make up the total Pop figure.

My best information so far is that around 80% of the ROman population would be city dwelling with the vast majority living in rural communities and villages in Roman lands.

Well, thanks to anyone that can help.
Karl Dammer
Welcome to the forum Nomad, i'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

If you wouldn't mind, can you add your real name in as part of your signature? Thanks!

Legion: TBD
Ok, I added my name, sorry I usually overlook that sort of thing for speed if nothing else.

Im hoping those who study Ancient History will know more. Ive found if painfully hard drudging up data on this. In days of searching ive only managed to gather very loose info.

Its ironic as I didnt really give this particular aspect much priority, more importance on logistics, tactis, weapons and the like.

More ironic is that I have no plans to state city or nation population in the book, but in my head I just cant work without knowing the filed strengths are reasonable.

I was just getting ready to work on a siege when this little ditty got me all hooked up and I realised I couldnt reasonably say what size of forces were in play.
Karl Dammer
Demographic aspects in the classical world:

[url:9wcnn29m]http://www.jpr.org.au/upload/JPR21-1_Caldwell.pdf[/url]

Marriage, families, and survival: demographic aspects:

[url:9wcnn29m]http://www.princeton.edu/~pswpc/pdfs/scheidel/110509.pdf[/url]

The Marriage of Roman soldiers (13 BC - AD 235)

[url:9wcnn29m]http://eprints.rhul.ac.uk/archive/00000182/01/Phang.pdf[/url]

THE ROMANARMY COMMUNITY:

[url:9wcnn29m]http://eprints.bbk.ac.uk/archive/00000260/01/haynes1.pdf[/url]

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Thanks a lot.

I had a skim through and theres a lot of great information in those links, also some interesting data on mortality and continuity. Really appreciate it, i'll read it more in depth and see what else there is.
Karl Dammer
This isn't based on very many hard facts, mostly what I have learned about early Saxon England (500-700 ad), but it's what I generally use when doing world-building for games and stories...

* Total population = 15% of the current population.
* Total population in the military= .025%. Double this to include mercenaries, retired veterans who can still serve, part-time local militias, etc.
* Total full-time fieldable soldiers = .01%.
* Rural population density = 75%
* Urban population densiy = 25% (any settlement with 1000 people or more, not including full-time soldiers)
* Average peasant lifespan = 35 years
* Average nobility lifespan = 50 years
* Adjust all figures for obvious regional and local activity factors.

Also, the "Vaults of Pandius" website has several really fine articles on this topic, especially campaign economics and raising troops.

http://pandius.com/rules.html

Hope it helps.
Globuli Non Ludibrii

-- Felix Canus_____
-- Cedric Einarsson