Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about some breeches from Marx-Etzel Germany?
(01-25-2007, 02:21 PM)James B. Wrote: I have been reading a book called Viking Clothing by Thor Ewing. He talks a bit about Roman and Migration era clothing as a lead up to Viking clothes, an evolution of sorts.

In the parts about Roman stuff he mentions a wool tunic and short from Marx-Erzel Germany but gives no date to the find. Anyone know anything about this find? Here is an illustration I did of the pattern in the book based on the breeches find:

[Image: breeches.jpg]

Thanks

Karl Schlabow wrote the article "Textile Findings from the Iron Age in Northern Germany" in the yearbook of the provincial Museum of Hanover, 1909-1910, 2nd part of Fibel and Fibeltracht, De Gruyter, ISBN: 978-3011-026848-5.  This is the reference to the original find. In the USA you can get a copy of it from the Library of Congress, talk to your local public library about how. The dating is still disputed; I have read of claims from 1st century to 4th. I have never seen the date suggested as BC until the post on this page. You might like what was written about it on the web by ATIMA Historical Costumes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone know about some breeches from Marx-Etzel Germany? - by Cathy Chato - 02-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  legionary breeches hoke 46 9,195 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte