Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about some breeches from Marx-Etzel Germany?
I have been reading a book called Viking Clothing by Thor Ewing. He talks a bit about Roman and Migration era clothing as a lead up to Viking clothes, an evolution of sorts.

In the parts about Roman stuff he mentions a wool tunic and short from Marx-Erzel Germany but gives no date to the find. Anyone know anything about this find? Here is an illustration I did of the pattern in the book based on the breeches find:

[Image: breeches.jpg]

Thanks
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Do you know of anyone who has made a pair off of this pattern...looks interesting and very simple...
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Hi James,

Quote:In the parts about Roman stuff he mentions a wool tunic and short from Marx-Erzel Germany but gives no date to the find. Anyone know anything about this find?

Not much really. The find is from Marx-Etzel (not Marx-Erzel) and dated to either 1000-500 BC or 3/4th cent BC, so quite early anyway and comes from Germanic territory. Seems to have been published by Karl Schlabow in some form, but I don't know anything more specific. Here's a pic of the original I found (doesn't mention the source unfortunately):

[Image: MarxEtzel_02.jpg]

You may want to look at these links:

http://www.german-hosiery-museum.de/ges ... hte_01.htm

http://www.german-hosiery-museum.de/ges ... d01-01.htm

http://www.wikingerkleidung.de/maenner/ ... idung.html
Here's another link with some additional info and references:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_bo ... ol4-2f.htm

According to this one reference would be:

W. von Stokar, Spinnen und Weben bei den Germanen (Mannus-Bibliothek, Leipzig, 1938), Vol. 59.
Thanks Martin

I did a little digging yesterday and found the same dating. It is a bit disappointing how early they are but it is an interesting design not to unlike the Thorsberg trousers, I may try making linen underwear in this shape to see how I like the fit.

Thanks for the links.
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Maybe this is the source for Kneibundhosen? heh Martin? :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Maybe this is the source for Kneibundhosen? heh Martin? :wink:

:? lol: :lol: :lol:
A quick and poor quality photo from Karl Schlabow's 'Textilfunde der Eisenzeit in Norddeutschland' 1976 Neumünster ISBN 3 529 01515 6 Abb. 191-195b

[Image: IMG_1594.jpg]

Description on pages 79-80

Please notice that the trouser and sleeveless short tunic appeared associated to a possibly female body... :roll:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
(01-25-2007, 02:21 PM)James B. Wrote: I have been reading a book called Viking Clothing by Thor Ewing. He talks a bit about Roman and Migration era clothing as a lead up to Viking clothes, an evolution of sorts.

In the parts about Roman stuff he mentions a wool tunic and short from Marx-Erzel Germany but gives no date to the find. Anyone know anything about this find? Here is an illustration I did of the pattern in the book based on the breeches find:

[Image: breeches.jpg]

Thanks

Karl Schlabow wrote the article "Textile Findings from the Iron Age in Northern Germany" in the yearbook of the provincial Museum of Hanover, 1909-1910, 2nd part of Fibel and Fibeltracht, De Gruyter, ISBN: 978-3011-026848-5.  This is the reference to the original find. In the USA you can get a copy of it from the Library of Congress, talk to your local public library about how. The dating is still disputed; I have read of claims from 1st century to 4th. I have never seen the date suggested as BC until the post on this page. You might like what was written about it on the web by ATIMA Historical Costumes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  legionary breeches hoke 46 8,973 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte