Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Times today- 12 Gladiator reliefs from 1st C BC recovered
Hi,

From today's Times, with a picture at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 75,00.html

Looted marbles recovered

Marble reliefs looted from ancient tombs have been found buried in a garden. The 12 panels, which date from the 1st century BC, depict gladiators locked in combat and have been hailed as some of the finest of their period. “The attention to detail is incredible,â€
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo,

look here for more pictures and info:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=13787
Let's wait for the oficial report. I hope those reliefs aren't fake and were buried for aging.

There are some things that make that relief suspicious:

1: The degree of the detail.
2: The frontality of some figures.
3: Some details shows the man who made it knows well other reliefs, but don't understand the function. The weapons, the helmets and the cornicem seems too close to military art. One gladiator haves the hand protected with the protections often used in pugilatum (boxing).

Another time, i hope there are real, and the things i have pointed could be explain.

I really hate the looters. Every day a little more.
A quick glance through 'Gladiators' by Michael Grant 1967 reveals a number of reliefs showing similar equipment and frontal poses executed with the same degree or even greater detail.

It is not unique to see a cornu portrayed either, as one exists in a Pompeii wall painting. Junkelmann also noted the similarity between a lot of military equipment and Gladiatorial. Other common aspects in Gladiator art include the draped tunic and groin guard, rectangular shields and same fighting stance adopted by the legionaries who we are told were also trained to fight against wooden stakes as the Gladiators did.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Other common aspects in Gladiator art include the draped tunic and groin guard,
Thank you very much, Graham! It's something I've noticed as well, including the curved pleats on the 1st C. tunics that resemble a gladiator's garment as you say.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Probably i'm too sceptical!
I've seen on TV news the other panels, there are some fantastic and elaborated shoes too!
I'll try to go soon to the etruscan museum of Villa Giulia, where the panels will be for one month, to take pics, if allowed...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:It is not unique to see a cornu portrayed either, as one exists in a Pompeii wall painting.
There's a cornicen in a gladiatorial relief from Isernia. I have a picture at home, I'll try to remember to get it tonight.
Quote:I'll try to go soon to the etruscan museum of Villa Giulia, where the panels will be for one month, to take pics, if allowed...
As I recall, the Villa Giulia Museum is one of the strictest about not taking photographs! I find it's helpful to go in a large group, who can cluster around the cameraman as he takes pictures from stomach-level. :wink:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Yes, good technique! I've just to remember to disable the flash! Big Grin

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From today\'s Times "Gladiators return to Colosseum&quot Caballo 0 1,370 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Caballo
  Gladiatorial marble reliefs recovered Bushikage 33 16,287 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Sextus Aurelius Propertiu