Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
naming problem - experts needed
Ave omnes,

when I started my account on RAT, I intended to use the praenomen ‚Quintus’ and the nomen ‚Cornelius’ (my favorite centurion) for my screen name. (A cognomen should be added later).

But my three brain cells must have been overloaded in that very moment. The result was ‘Cornelius Quintus’ which seems something … unusual to the Roman naming system Confusedhock: :roll: .

Is there a possibility to bring any sense to the name? (Perhaps I should extend it to Cornelius Quintus Retro 8) )
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Salve Mi Quinte!

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck rationalizing "Cornelius Quintus" as a Praemomen-Nomen, Nomen-Cognomen, Praenomen-Cognomen, or Cognomen-Agnomen combination.

The closest I could come would be a Cornelius Quintilus or Cornelius Quintilianus (Cornelius being the Nomen and both Quintillus and Quintilianus being well recognized roman cognomen (and nomen for that matter)) - Although there were no recorded branches of the Gens Cornelia by either of those cognomen it is still entirely possible there could have been).

If we could find evidence of the use of Quintus as cognomen we would be on firmer ground. I suspect it was never used because of how commonplace Quintus was as a praenomen (and was not used to avoid confusion). Even if a it were used it probably would have been made a dimiunituve (Quintulus) or as an adopted cognomen affix (Quintanus)

For my sources I used Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology as well as consulting various lists of recoded Consuls and other magistrates.

But don't lose heart...in the end a person is defined by one's words and actions, not by one's name!

-Severus
You have to change it, to be Quintus Cornelius, and depending the chronology, add a cognomen.
Avete CoRATores,

in my view it is an interesting phenomenon that of the few Roman prenomen only some have survived in our Western world naming tradition (for example Marcus, Marco, Lucius, Lucy, Lucia), but nearly the most if not all nomen gentiles became forenames (only some of so many examples: Anthony, Julius, Claude, Cornel). This in mind it is no wonder that nomen and prenomen so often are confused.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Salvete Uwe et Omnes!

Well said Uwe! It is confusing indeed. I always have a hard time trying to explain to people that it's actually Gaius Julius Caesar. Oh well!

The only thing I can attribute the phenomenon to is that it became commmon to address Romans by their nomen-cognomen (e.g. Julius Caesar) in the late republic and empire. Whereas before you usually addressed a Roman by praenomen-nomen or even praenomen-cognomen. Since we have so many historians from the late republic and empire it would seem to be that nomen-cognomen was imprinted on us through the ages.

-Severus
Salve Heiko,

Why don't you simply ask Jasper to change your name from Cornelius Quintus to Quintus Cornelius? That would be the most easiest way and we all still know who you are. :lol:

Vale optime
Well maybe just go late Roman. The names you have are not typically late Roman but at least in late Roman names you can even have names like Flavius as praenomen so Cornelius should be ok as well lol :wink:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Hi,

Although rather rare, Quintus has been found as a cognomen, even for soldiers. Here are a few examples from Legio III Augusta stationed in Lambaesis in Africa:

CIL VIII 2918 and 2919: C. Iulius Quintus, a custos armorum of Legio III Augusta setting up tombstones for his six year old son Felix (2918) and for his wife Herennia Fortunata (2919). These tombstones were dated to the second or early third century AD.

AE 1978, 886 (= IL Af 27): an inscription mentioning a list of names of a detachment of Legio III Augusta (vexilarii) including a soldier named Annius Quintus. This inscription is dated between 198 and 211 AD.

If you want to know more about Latin cognomina used by the Romans, check out I. Kajanto, The Latin Cognomina (1982).

So Cornelius Quintus is quite possible for a Roman name (nomen gentilicium with a cognomen). There's a tendency to omit the praenomen in the Roman name from the (second half of the) second century onwards. I don't know if this fits your desired time frame for re-enactment purposes.

Or like is already suggested: ask to have your login name changed into Quintus Cornelius. Probably a lot more recognisable as a Roman name for everyone.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Hans-

Nice catch with the inscription, I overlooked tombstones before. Well done!

-Severus
Hi,

I came across this Cornelius Quintus from Rome:

CIL VI 16294 (p 3519) = AE 1999,24

D(is) M(anibus) / Cornelius Quin/tus Arriae Crescen/tin(a)e coniugi / bene / merenti / fecit

So Heiko, your Roman name is quite possible. Perhaps you can call your wife/girlfriend Arria Crescentina from now on Big Grin

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma