Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Units Within the Cohorts
Does anyone know what happened to the Vexillia (the unit, not the flag) after the Marian Reforms? The last mention of that unit type I have found is in Livy's accounts.

Did the army continue to use this unit as semi-official for small duties, keep it as an administrative group within the cohort (like the maniple), or was it dropped from use entirely?

(It was the mention in another thread of the Decanus Biarchus that made me to suspect there could be a direct connection between that rank and the Vexilla.)
Globuli Non Ludibrii

-- Felix Canus_____
-- Cedric Einarsson
The term 'Vexillation' seems to have been used for a long period after the Marian reforms.

A group of soldiers or detachment, representative of their unit under one flag.
Quote:Does anyone know what happened to the Vexillia (the unit, not the flag) after the Marian Reforms? The last mention of that unit type I have found is in Livy's accounts.
I think you're talking about two different things, Cedric.

Livy 8.8.8 claims that a vexillum comprised 60 men, two centurions and a flag-bearer, but he is describing the situation in the 4th C B.C.

The vexilla or (more usually) vexillationes of the imperial period were bodies of troops temporarily banded together and selected for a particular task. Typically, these were at least cohort-sized, and frequently much larger.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I think you're talking about two different things, Cedric.

Livy 8.8.8 claims that a vexillum comprised 60 men, two centurions and a flag-bearer, but he is describing the situation in the 4th C B.C.

The vexilla or (more usually) vexillationes of the imperial period were bodies of troops temporarily banded together and selected for a particular task. Typically, these were at least cohort-sized, and frequently much larger.

Ah, I see. It was the similarity of the terms that was causing my problem. Most vexing.

So, is there any evidence of an official division between the Century and Contubernia at any time between the Second Punic War and the Dacian conquest? I have seen vague references that seem to infer such, but it has been very much like chasing smoke. I can seen the logic behind such a unit being used, if only for administrative or purposes, but I can find no real substance to the speculation.
Globuli Non Ludibrii

-- Felix Canus_____
-- Cedric Einarsson
As far as we know there is none.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters