Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fantastic leg protection, double-axe and squamata 4th cent
After my last visit in the Strasbourg museum I found some wonderful items Ive never seen anywhere else - all 4th century:

http://de.geocities.com/jwleonidas/Argentorate.html

1. a beautiful leg protection (after restauration):
thought to be part of parade equipment. Shown is Aeneas carrying his father and leading his son out of Troy. Petry, F. Informations archeologiques Gallia 1976, 34, fasc. 2 p.4.
Look at the round thing next to Aeneas fathers head - for me it seems to be a shield design similiar to the ones of the guards of Honorius and Arcadius on the lost Arcadius arch.

2. a fragment of a bronze lorica squamata, found in the Cathedrale of Strasbourg. Date end of 4th/ beginning 5th century. (type VII of Mv. Groller). Hatt J.J. Fouilles gallo-romainess sous la Cathedrale in:C.A.A.A.H. XIV. 1970. pp. 75-84. fig. 7

3. a decorative relief showing a set of weapons: a cuirass with a lance, a round shield, a double-axe and an amazon shield.
J.J. Hatt, Decouvertes et observations nouvelles sur les enceintes de Strasbourg. CAAH XIII, 1969. p 73-98.
Jens Wucherpfennig
Great news, Jens! Is there possibly any change of getting better pictures of these ineterestings finds?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Jyrki,

just pm me your E-Mail adress. But u could enlarge the pics, they show some good detail.
Jens Wucherpfennig
Jens, just sent you a PM...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Cannot see the pics, Jens Sad D

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
E-mail received, Jens. Many thanks, laus for you! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hell o Jens, I can no longer see the pics, I hope you don't mind another pm?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The leg greave looks to be the lower half of a third century hinged hippika gymnasia greave. (missing the knee section).
It's just a shame that in so many Roman weapons reliefs fantastical Amazon equipment, like the axe and shield seen here, are thrown in to muddle up the historical accuracy :?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The left shield looks like a correct round Late one, depicted from the inside. Even the off-center placement of the handle seems a clumsy attempt of representing the board's concavity... :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
[Image: jambiredeparadephotosmall8gp.jpg]
[Image: basreliefstrasyw1.jpg]

V@le
that legprotection is really amazing! Very beautiful indeed.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3rd cent greaves for 6th cent/Lorica Squamata shoulders? Thaddeus G. Moore 11 3,656 09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat