Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Emperor?
Marcus Aurelius Probus!
I became interested in him because I was able to buy distinctive coins from his reign at relatively low prices. His hagiographic treatment in Gibbon and the Historiae Augustae (obviously related) helped cement my infatuation with him.
I firmly believe that he flew out of the iron tower before the troops could get him and is living in comfortable retirement with Alexander, Abe Lincoln, Patton, Elvis, and Joe Strummer.
Smile
I compensate for my ignorance by being obtuse.
- Bill M. (me)
Quote:I firmly believe that he flew out of the iron tower before the troops could get him and is living in comfortable retirement with Alexander, Abe Lincoln, Patton, Elvis, and Joe Strummer. Smile
A nice company!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:
Virtus Probi Invicti:1sf6xqtj Wrote:I firmly believe that he flew out of the iron tower before the troops could get him and is living in comfortable retirement with Alexander, Abe Lincoln, Patton, Elvis, and Joe Strummer. Smile
A nice company!

Good fighting, good speeches, and good tunes!!
Big Grin
I forgot Scipio Africanus...
:oops:
- Bill M. (me)
Quote:I forgot Scipio Africanus...
When was he emperor?? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Claudius (because he was the black sheep of the family made good and top of the pile Vespasian and heres why.

1 he was a man of the people

2he knew to tell a joke 8)

and 3 he did not get himself killed after sleeping durining Nero's drama performse :wink:

P.S i think he would be fun at a night out :wink:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote:
Virtus Probi Invicti:3a7ck5dg Wrote:I forgot Scipio Africanus...
When was he emperor?? Big Grin

Right after Joe Strummer!!!
:lol:
- Bill M. (me)
Quote:A) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to serve in the Roman army?

B) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to be a Roman civilian?

C) Which Emperor would you most want for a rich uncle (i.e., which one do you find the most personable)?

Of course, the answers don't need to be the same for all three questions.

A) Probably under Augustus as an emperor, but Julius Caesar as a ruler. If your going to be a real soldier, you want to be used. Alot of fighting in Caesar's time.

B)Under ConstantineII/Constantine the Great. Legalizing Christianity means I likely keep my head.

C)Probably Augustus. He tried to be a good moral man (though he still had issues like anyone else) and tried keeping Roman good an moral. I don't know much about the personalities of the more obscure emperors, but I do know some about Augustus and he's most people's favorite.
Julius Caesar is still my favorite Roman above all though.

I'll add some emperors I hate. Nero, Caligula, and Elagabalus. But most people hate these guys. Roman emperors stand out as good or bad so much that most people have very similar likes and dislikes.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
To the Scipio Africanus people, look him up and you'll see why you shouldnt pick him as a favorite emperor.... Tongue

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Quote:A) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to serve in the Roman army?

B) In which Emperor's reign would you most want to be a Roman civilian?

C) Which Emperor would you most want for a rich uncle (i.e., which one do you find the most personable)?

Of course, the answers don't need to be the same for all three questions.

A) Trajan. Lots of excitement and success, but, obviously, a good chance of getting killed, too.

B)Antoninus Pius. Because things were calm, boring, and safe (at least for the Roman era).

C)Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius. Vespasian, Trajan, and Nerva would also be good answers.
- Bill M. (me)
Quote:To the Scipio Africanus people, look him up and you'll see why you shouldnt pick him as a favorite emperor.... Tongue

I was saying that I should have included Scipio in my little group of people I admired who never actually died and were living in a secret place, inspired by the persistent belief in the USA that Elvis hadn't died. Did people think that I was suggesting that Patton was a Roman emperor?
:?

I know that Scipio Africanus lived in the era of the Republic, thanks.
:roll:
- Bill M. (me)
I saw someone else say something about him being an emperor. I don't remember who, it was yesterday.

Carpe Dium
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus (Reg. 270-275)

What a chance has been throwed away by assassinating him ........

Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

Quote:Lucius Domitius Aurelianus (Reg. 270-275)

What a chance has been throwed away by assassinating him ........

And then they come up with another good one in Marcus Aurelius Probus...only to assassinate him, too!!!!
:evil:
Either Aurelianus or Probus should have had the pleasure of invading Persia, instead of Carus...
:x
- Bill M. (me)