Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan\'s Column = Roman Hollywood?
With the inconsistancies vs the archaeological record, and the purpose of the column being to tell a tale...seems like it's the 2000 year old version of Hollywood. I wonder if it was just as difficult in some cases for the average Roman citizen who was very far removed from the Dacian war, or just sheltered in general, to distinguish between what was real and what was portrayed on the column.

Legion: TBD
If you can't trust it to archaeological evidence then you have to look to the character of the man. It would be difficult to trust the memoirs of Nero or Caligula, but perhaps the likes of Trajan, Hadrian (whose memoirs I am reading at the moment) or Marcus Aurelius do give you an insight into the man and what he wished to be recorded. It seems to me that the example of the Dacian wars isn't neccesarily a good one. The Romans won. end of.. We only have to go back 60+ years to understand that to the victor the spoils. The term 'Non-Military combatant' was used after the second world war but is that common knowledge- I think not.

Alan Machen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,629 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,351 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,011 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus