Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few shots from Constantinople
Hi Ebusitanus,

You can find among others some beautiful picture of the panels in the Ephesus museum here (scroll down a little):

[url:12xla09f]http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/ephesus[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Interesting! Another time, a lorica hamata with shoulder doubling in the II century BC!

http://i5.pbase.com/u26/dosseman/large/ ... ychest.jpg
Quote:Interesting! Another time, a lorica hamata with shoulder doubling in the II century BC!

Thanks Uwe for that good link. He he...Lucius here caught right away on the aspect I wanted to comment on. That and the fact that although being an Anatolian piece that the headgear shown for the romans is quite similar to the "exagerated" of the Trajan Column in Rome. Perhaps we are to fast attacking that monument?

In regards to previous comments to say that Relief mentioned and linked on the first posts is, acording to the Museum:

Facade Relief belonging to the funeral mounment of Tiberius Flavius Miccalus, Priest and Prefect.
Marble Kamaradere (Marmara Ereglisi), Roman period. Second half of the first Century BC.

About the Masked Helmet . Bronze from Vize. Roman period first century AD. 27 cms high, 21 wide.

"The bronze helmet, which is a part of the grave gifts of a tumulus burial,. On the visor Scylla trying to catch the sailors on Odysseus´boat is shown. On the cheekguards are Nikai carrying trophies."
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Nice images all!!

I didnt know helmets were given as grave gifts, thats a first to me!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
OMG OMG Now I will have to throw silly predjudices to the wind and go to Turkey! There is so much Roman in such good condition! These photos are really great! Thanks for showing me, as the few pics I have seen of Ephesus were nice but notin such magnitude and detail! Thanks EWE!

God(read Jupiter), Thank you for RAT! Must run to local temple and sacrifice a bull in thanks.... :roll: Darn, silly Caledonians didn't want enlightenment, so there are none :evil: :evil:

BTW Cesar, why do we needpernission to view your link to hamata?
I cannot view it anyway.... Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Turkey has a very ambivalent attitude towards antiques...Somehow they rather identify with Hitites than with Greeks or Romans. They have amazing stuff but they do not like to place light on it like it would deserve. Somehow I feel it has something to do with their animosity towards and from the Greeks. Constantinople and the wars around it are not forgotten. The whole Capadoccia (which I had the pleasure to visit too) was up till 1920 filled with ancient Greek orthodox settlers. All those had to be exchanged along with Turkey´s west coast Greeks with the Turks living in Greece.
Romans perhaps to the lingering heritage of Byzantium but museums dealing with them seem to be there rather due to tourist demand than real interest in perserving this heritage. One thing that irritated me quite some was that although I must have visited at least 5 archeological museums that you would only find Ottoman souvenirs to buy in the gift shop.

Visiting Istambul gives you also a very weird feeling when crusing through so much Byzantine/Roman stones and bricks. Like something is not right.

Daniel
Yes I do understand, being half Greek! I hope the Turks will understand that there is more to life than oppressing the truth. Many older Greeks still feel the old resentments, but some youngerones too, so when is another debate.... 400 years of Ottoman rule = 400 years of nothing to show in Greece. At least the Romans, Byzantines, Venetians etc left some progress to show... That is a quote from a Greek general, now departed.
GRHS. But htis is getting too political sorry.

Yes hope EU will broaden their horizons. Yesterday the taylor who made my tunic :oops: :oops: a turk, turned the conversation to the Hitittes, but when I made it clear I had heard of them, he seemed happy enough. But he was a little less sure of other peoples, like king midas of Lydia etc
Will keep at him lol
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Turkey has a very ambivalent attitude towards antiques...Somehow they rather identify with Hitites than with Greeks or Romans. They have amazing stuff but they do not like to place light on it like it would deserve. Somehow I feel it has something to do with their animosity towards and from the Greeks. Constantinople and the wars around it are not forgotten. The whole Capadoccia (which I had the pleasure to visit too) was up till 1920 filled with ancient Greek orthodox settlers. All those had to be exchanged along with Turkey´s west coast Greeks with the Turks living in Greece.
Romans perhaps to the lingering heritage of Byzantium but museums dealing with them seem to be there rather due to tourist demand than real interest in perserving this heritage. One thing that irritated me quite some was that although I must have visited at least 5 archeological museums that you would only find Ottoman souvenirs to buy in the gift shop.

Visiting Istambul gives you also a very weird feeling when crusing through so much Byzantine/Roman stones and bricks. Like something is not right.

I firmly disagree with You. Turks have done alot towards presentation of antiquity. Compare it with Greece. Constantinopolis is like other multilayered localities rather complex for presentation of cultural heritage. And Turkey is not wealthy country, also it is not part of EU. Do you remember Thessalonica from the mid '80? Can You give me the example of country that thinks just about preserving cultural heritage, and not about tourist aspect.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
I have posted month ago also mine from ephesus:

http://www.romanhideout.com/images/tr/e ... esus38.asp

These shoots were taken really carefully in high details. I have also higher res available.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Quote:I firmly disagree with You. Turks have done alot towards presentation of antiquity. Compare it with Greece. Constantinopolis is like other multilayered localities rather complex for presentation of cultural heritage. And Turkey is not wealthy country, also it is not part of EU. Do you remember Thessalonica from the mid '80? Can You give me the example of country that thinks just about preserving cultural heritage, and not about tourist aspect.

I´m not here to compare to Greece anything, a country I have not even been to. I can just talk about what I saw and what I perceived. Oddly enough I spoke about this with a lovely turkish lady who was in charge of one of the museum libraries and it was her who pointed this out to me.

Turkey has done alot to get in shape from what I could see but in my humble opinion in the wrong direction. To focus on 300 year old history instead of the thousands of years old remains is a bit sad. Spain does its best to "sell" it Muslim past to visitors. I could not see the same in Turkey in regards to their Greek/Roman past.

Daniel
You can not compare things like that, 300 or 3000 years old. Both are important for human history. Turkish civilization is largely influenced by Greek, roman and Byzantine civilizations as well as Persian. And I haven't seen in Ionia that remains of Turkish civilization are favored to roman or Greek remains. Asia Minor was literally center of the world and I am convinced that modern Turkish state is doing it's best in preserving remains from the past. Read again Your passage about the Spain.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
To me, there are no Turks, nor are there Greeks.....

there are only Roman World citizens.......... anyone starting to get nationalistic should be severely punished, for they do not adhere to the greatness of Rome, nor to our gods........

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi.

Could you edit your posting and add the approximate timeframes of each photographed item? I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

Great shots, by the way!
Get the FREE Ancient Measures Calculator - a scientific software tool which makes it easier to rebuild ancient construction based on their ancient measures.
Full Version (v1.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/FNRCalculatorWindows.zip
Full Version regular(v2.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/AMCv2regular.Setup.rar
Full Version special edition RAT(v2.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/AMCv2seRAT.Setup.rar

(use the free WinRAR to extract the Setup file)
Very Good Pics Luca, thanks to you too.

They are very good and clear, so can really examine the details. Big Grin D

Stefan, we are not attacking Turkey, I think just saying how things are percieved. I personally hope that they will promote all their history. From Hittite to EU! 8)

Hey Legatus Legionis Maurinus! Your Avatar seems to be out of uniform!
Perhaps a period of punishment in front of the commanders tent is in order? :lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Turkey did once !!! have a very ambivalent attitude towards antiques...

[Image: parth103.jpg]

a gun-powder magazine i recollect???

:lol:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.