Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birdheadhandles?
as far as I know they have been found on so called emperors statues, but any information otherwise is welcome.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Here is a statue of Caesar with an eagle headed parazonium: http://www.congiano.com/Extras/Recreati ... _small.jpg

But perhaps this is an Augustean statue... Or a later one...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:The eagleheads as handles on swords are reserved for the emperor and his direct male family. There are several of these eagleheads known (for example on the statue in Venice and the statue of Germanicus), all from sculptures which represent the emperor, co-emperors or famliy members. Most of the are in bronze or stone, like the statue itself.

On the falcatae the heads most ofter represent horses.

Maarten

I'm sceptical about this assumption that an eagle-grip was an Imperial prerogative. It may in appear in Hellenistic art as well but I have to do some research.

I also remember reading a similar claim that only Emperors wore lion heads on their boots. This clearly isn't true because there's an equestrian relief showing the dismounted rider wearing the same type of boots.

Afaik, the only part of a general's garb that would indicate his Imperial status would have been a purple cloak. And there's this latest find of a septre from the early 4th century but I don't know if an Emperor would normally parade with it in his military attire.

You could be right but , as I said, I'm sceptical at this point.

~Theo
Jaime
Salve,

Quote:as far as I know they have been found on so called emperors statues, but any information otherwise is welcome.

From this forum (actually in the post) I was able to come across a few photos from M.C Bishop & Coulston "Roman Military Equipment" page 202 of two non-emperors wearing the Parazonium.

[Image: Parazoniumtetrarchs-2.jpg]

[Image: Parazoniumtetrarchs_close-2.jpg]

Also, a sculpture of what appears to be a Roman weapons cache, where two Parazoniums can be seen, and a third more off centered eagle headed sword as well. Since there were not three emperors at the time the sculpture was carved, they are more likely than not representing officer’s swords

[Image: Parazoniums_orange02840.jpg]

I would agree that the eagle headed Hellenistic sword or Parazonium is seen in sculpture being held by an Emperor however; I would tend to think it was more of a status symbol or typical of a high ranking officer more than an ‘Emperor only’ motif.

The reason is this… if the Parazonium meant you were an Emperor or close family member, then logically every Emperor would always pose with one.

But, the Parazonium is only seen sometimes, actually more often than not… it is not held and not present on the statues of Emperors (Travis Lee Clarke’s site only has a few holding the Parazonium) and several are missing the top of the handle so, we can’t honestly be sure if the Parazonium had an eagle’s head or a more rounded head like we see in Germanicus’ statue.

The “Caesar as a generalâ€
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:From this forum (actually in the post) I was able to come across a few photos from M.C Bishop & Coulston "Roman Military Equipment" page 202 of two non-emperors wearing the Parazonium.

[Image: Parazoniumtetrarchs-2.jpg]

[Image: Parazoniumtetrarchs_close-2.jpg]

I thought those were emperors, just tetrarchs.

Quote:Also, a sculpture of what appears to be a Roman weapons cache, where two Parazoniums can be seen, and a third more off centered eagle headed sword as well. Since there were not three emperors at the time the sculpture was carved, they are more likely than not representing officer’s swords

Those are all Celtic weapons and armour.

The bird-head handle was quite common on kopides from the Hellenistic period. This sword in the Hellenistic period was not an indicator of any kind of prestige.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Those are all Celtic weapons and armour

Aren't those Roman Gladiuses in the upper right corner?

Anyways... here's another statue, this time of a Roman Officer, possibly a youthful Mars.

I guess the point is... apparently the Gods had them too! So, emperors weren't the only ones who could wear them!

(yes, I'm joking there a bit) :wink:

[Image: Parazoniumksixteen_499.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]