Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burgh Castle Helmet patterns
http://members.aol.com/gijchar/patterns.htm

[Image: burgh.jpg]

what do people think of these patterns? period enough or are their some period tweeks that need to happen in teh pattern making to make a proper helmet?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
The basic pattern seems to be OK, but the rivets are too large. There are also too many rivets on the ridge.

The cheek and neck guards are not found with the Burgh castle helmet, so I assume they were modelled on the Berkasovo-type helmets. I’m not sure how large the nasal is made (a common problem these days is that these are way too large), but I think the neck guard is too flat.

Here's the original helmet:

[Image: burgh1b.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Chuck!

I have this helmet made by Joe Piela. I bought it for 175 dollars. If I remember correctly, his prices have rocketed since! I think the shape of the helmet is very good, especially the bowl. The neckpiece is too big, though...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Based on the Duerne helmet I'd say the neck guard was reasonably ok for size. :?
Here is a photo of my helmet...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The angle of the neck-guard should be less open. That is what Robert means by 'flat'.
The neck-guard should be attached by straps and buckles to the bowl, not by rivetted straps. That feature seems to belong mainly or only to Intercisa helmets, not to Berkasovo ones.
There are too many rivets (no more than four are present on real helmets) and too bulky attaching the hinge protectors to the bowl.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Event folding helmet patterns for children richsc 7 1,818 09-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Creon01
  Helmet Patterns Marcus Velius Avitus 1 1,457 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Later Helmet patterns jackmcauliffe 0 1,025 03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Last Post: jackmcauliffe