Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Roman or Carthaginian?
Don't get too excited. It's almost certainly Hellenistic.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
so?

why should Roman tribune helmets not be hellenistic?

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:so?

why should Roman tribune helmets not be hellenistic?

Wink

M.VIB.M.

The chance that of all the possible soldiers who could have worn that helmet it would be a Roman tribune is very small. You might as well look at a xiphos found near Macedonia and declare it the sword of an officer of the Hetairoi.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:The chance that of all the possible soldiers who could have worn that helmet it would be a Roman tribune is very small. You might as well look at a xiphos found near Macedonia and declare it the sword of an officer of the Hetairoi.

I'd more likely say, given the dating and location, that you might as well look at a xiphos found in India and dated to the 5th century and declare it the sword of an officer of the Hetairoi.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
hehehehehehehehe

i have that with all deepeeka finds turning up as real artefacts on e-bay......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Carthaginian helmet mcbishop 8 2,209 03-14-2015, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Youngster
  first original Carthaginian helmet found? richsc 3 1,451 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: jho
  Ancient Warships...Roman/Greek/Carthaginian...? Gaius Julius Caesar 11 2,498 04-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs