Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Roman or Carthaginian?
Helmet of the archaeological national museum (Madrid). Roman helmet or Carthaginian?
[Image: CASCOman2.jpg]
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Generic Hellenistic. That sort of helmet is found all over the Mediterranean from the Hellenistic era. I don't know if it ever saw Roman use, but undoubtedly it was used widely in Carthage's mercenary armies. That doesn't make it carthaginian, though.
Pecunia non olet
it's a hellenistic helmet like Mr Roberts already said. It's attic style.

the catalogue of the Antikenmuseum Basel and Stiftung Ludwig, 1989, by Herrman Pflug has pictures of 3 such helmets, one found in Albania, one on Melos and one from Pergamon.

As Mr.Roberts already said those types of helmets were in widespread use. Could be from a carthaginian mercenary, a Roman, a Roman allied contingent or someone else. Do you have any dating for this helmet or the context where it was found?
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
That helmet look thracian to me.
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Quote:That helmet look thracian to me.
Which was worn by Liby-Phoenicians fighting for Carthage I think.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
sorry but it's definately Attic style. This style is a development of the phrygian cap design but it's attic. still the different types of hellenistic helmets were produced and used all over the med.

[Micha F.]
Quote:Helmet of the archaeological national museum (Madrid). Roman helmet or Carthaginian?

[Image: CASCOman2.jpg]

This type of helmet has no contemporaries in archaeological sources representing Roman or native Spanish soldiers. I would say it is definitely Carthaginian.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:sorry but it's definately Attic style. This style is a development of the phrygian cap design but it's attic. still the different types of hellenistic helmets were produced and used all over the med.
I hate to disagree, but the books I have agree that it is defenitely a Thracian helmet.
The flared out lower edge and raised top are typical for the Thracian and Phrygian style. The Attic helmet has a rounded, relatively close fitting crown with visible hinges.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
I hate to disagree as well. I do see boeotian and thracian features in this helmet. I didn't really find much on this specific helmet except for the 3 helmets at the museum in Berlin(depicted in the book I mentioned before) which look practically the same and are labeled as "late hellenistic attic", all dated late 3rd and 2nd century BCE.

All 3 have different crestholders. The one from Melos does have the same one as this one shown here. all 4 have the hinged cheekpieces and the typically attic decoration.

Note that I'm not sure as I see the features of other types as well. We just have to be carefull. Most "typical" categorizations for greek helmets I found are showing earlier models where the difference is more clear. This one is 2nd century BCE I guess. Still hard to say who wore it. There are Roman republican coins depicting similar helmets worn by Roma.

coin1
coin2
coin3

[Micha F.]
It doesn't look like any of the ones here:
[url:23ibx3z0]http://www.freewebtown.com/italica/italic_military/general_italic/armor/helmets/newattic.html[/url]

It looks more like this, though, posted in Show Your Greek Impression:
[url:23ibx3z0]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6525/helm1yz0.jpg[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
yes you are right. the italic helmets in your first link are the ones Roma wears on the coins I posted. my mistake.sorry all.

[Micha F.]
The same brow decoration can be seen on a helmet that Robinson categorised as an 'Imperial Italic A' said to have been found at Herculaneum, now in the Naples Museum.
It is uncannily similar, but the main difference is the lack of a crest and the bowl extending at the front to form a peak.

I'm having thoughts, but couldn't possibly express them here :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim wrote..
Quote:I'm having thoughts, but couldn't possibly express them here
You're thinking it's a fireman's helmet aren't you??? Vigiles??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

helmets like these can also be seen on the 'Ahenobarbus' relief..
http://www.ribekatedralskole.dk/classic ... ldater.jpg
Perhaps this is the missing Tribune helmet link everyone searches for?
Looks plausible to me, very interesting form I havn't seen untill now!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Carthaginian helmet mcbishop 8 2,283 03-14-2015, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Youngster
  first original Carthaginian helmet found? richsc 3 1,467 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: jho
  Ancient Warships...Roman/Greek/Carthaginian...? Gaius Julius Caesar 11 2,551 04-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs