Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your roman belts?
Is that a rivet, or part of the stamping? I'd wait until someone can confirm that. On page 98 of that same article, there is a terminal end, that has a similar stamping pattern that also looks like it could be a rivet, but I think it's just part of the stamping design.

Has anyone seen a cross section? There is no explanation given, just the find location, Tekije.

Legion: TBD
Here is my new first-century balteus. The plates are copied from the finds from Chassenard, Ehingen-Rißtissen and other sites. They are made by Matt Lukes by hammering the sheet brass into a female die using lead on the back and finishing the details from the front. The buckle is a copy of a Vindonissa find, cast by Matt Lukes. The rivets are also by Matt Lukes. The frogs are cast by Nodge Nollan and copied from the Velsen find. The studs are sand-cast by Jennifer Cook. The pendants I made myself, they are copied from the Baláca find.
[attachment=5388]IMG_1371.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5389]IMG_2899.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5390]IMG_2900.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
From one year me and my brother we want to prepare for us and for our club quality equipment for the third century. Unfortunately, this transformation on Roman equipped period are slowly and .. take a significant financial resources. So we started with Baldric applications.
Some time ago I decided to buy ready Baldric from AL-HAMDD TRADING POST. Once I got it after a very long wait ..I realized that the "Baldric brass fittings " didn't look like the originals!

[Image: 63963402.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the Baldric from AL-HAMDD TRADING POST I found many wrong decisions that I do not accept for a use on a correct 3-th century Roman reenacting..
So..I decided to sell this Baldric from AL-HAMDD TRADING POST to a colleague and start an independent author work on this project.
[Image: baldriciiicent22.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
And now my long and difficult project “3 th century Baldric from Zugmantel Germany” Saalburg museum . Mounted on balteusLeather.

[Image: collages3.th.jpg]

[Image: img0872vv.th.jpg]
Here (in this topic) I have described in detail the stages of our work: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/20-roma...135#323091
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
The border stitching on belt and apron straps is something I've noticed more recently featured on reconstructions of early principate military belts, mostly in the past 5-10 years.

What is the purpose of the stitching? What is the supporting evidence?

Regards, Dave
Regards, David
(05-24-2016, 08:48 PM)JoeSmoe69 Wrote: The border stitching on belt and apron straps is something I've noticed more recently featured on reconstructions of early principate military belts, mostly in the past 5-10 years.

What is the purpose of the stitching? What is the supporting evidence?

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave. Welcome back.
Although I have the 'real' sources not at hand, I can tell a little about what evidence we have. 
*Finds of leather parts, mostly from the later empire shows indeed a double folded belt out of soft leather with a fabric reinforcement core. 
*new interpretations of militairy stelae also suggest stitching borders on the belts

Furthermore, in archeology, it seems that most of the belt plate sets that were found 'complete' only show us a small number of beltplates (up to only 6 plates). This all gave a new changed view on the roman militairy belts recently. If I'm rigth there is also a written account of linnen core into a leather belt, but I didn't see that one myself, sofar.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show your late roman belts? Virilis 18 4,046 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Virilis